Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: I found a cure....you can get it too...

Re: I found a cure....you can get it too...

I have not posted in here in some time, but I wanted to post again to tell you about a set back i've had and how i've recovered. It happened about a year ago when I started to again experience anxiety. I had a job change, a new relationship, and a lot happening in my life. I quickly allowed the feelings of anxiety; the urgency, the panic, the fear of death happen again. I feel into what I call the "thought trap" where if I think it, it must be true and disaster is a breath away.
    Over the past year I went up and down progressively getting worse, where even the slightest interaction with someone was so painful. I even took a prescription from my doctor for benzos and antidepressants. I felt defeated, like I had concurred this before and why could I not get past it again? However this time, deep down I knew that if I could only not care I could recover. So I began the painful process of putting myself again in situations that made me feel uncomfortable, out of control.
    It did not at first feel like I could conquer this, that it would never ever go away. Everyday I put on this brave face, looked at the fear, and was often pushed to run away.
    But everyday, I got up and did it again and again. Was a afraid and hide some days, yes. But I deep down knew I could defeat this. Eventually those fears began to fade, it took much longer than i expected. But the single that always worked for me and does to this day when I feel an anxious feeling is to tell myself...
    "if today is the day, that is fine, I am ready let it happen" Every time I've said that and let myself relax to the best I could it eventually has passed. And over time that feeling of giving in, letting go, and accepting that whatever will happen has reduced my anxiety.
    I did this without 1 benzo or 1 antidepressant. Though I fully understand and support those who do need the support.
    I don't know if I will ever not be an anxious person, most post go back many years. I've experienced many good years without a relapse. But it happens and next time I will just give in.
    If my doctor tells me i'm healthy, will survive, I will. I have to have faith in giving into the things I can't control.
    At the end of this all i'm trying to tell you is as bad as it feels, and i've been through every moment you have, is that at the end giving up and giving into it will do exactly what you want. Bring the freedom you need.

Quote Originally Posted by franklin2003 View Post
    Anxiety can be cured!! I wanted to share my steps as to how I overcame anxiety and if you have questions please feel free to post them.

It was very simple..

Rest
    Nutrition
    Acceptance

One day I just stopped, I just stopped rushing from one thing to another, with tense shoulders, racing thoughts, fear of blacking out, fear of being hurt, fear, fear fear....and I realized it hasn't hurt me for 4 months why would it hurt me today. And with that thought, I allowed the rushes, I allowed my body to scream at me telling me the end was near. The dizziness, the tension, the unsteadiness, the lack of concentration, the fatigue. I allowed it to do what it had to do. I accepted it was there, but then I did what I had to do. Walk to work, go grocery shopping, read a book.

Yes sometimes it was hard, sometimes I was just tired and wanted to rest, so I did. But I didn't rest as an excuse for the anxiety, I rested because my body just needed to digest the mistake it had made, reinforce the calm I COULD CONTROL!!, and then in an hour or the next day I would go back to my life.

I'm not 100% maybe 75%, but I know I have been cured and I know I will be 100% because I understand now that it just takes time, maybe a few weeks, maybe a few months. But, the feelings don't bother me, if I feel pressure and dizziness instead of racing to get home or somewhere safe, I just slow down, I let it come and then I let it pass, maybe its still there when I let it pass...but I just keep walking. I never have fallen from it, i've never gone blind from it, i've never passed out from it. It can hurt, it can be painful, but with rest (maybe even a few days/weeks) it will pass. It won't be so bad. When i've learned to accept it, it's learned to go away. My body says yes you're muscles are tense, but WE CAN STILL FUNCTION, so we will lower the pain and allow you to keep doing what you are doing.

Sleeping, I couldn't sleep a full night, I would wake up with the weirdest thoughts, have the weirdest dreams, scary thoughts of what I might/could do. But one day, I just allowed them to happen and focused on things I enjoyed. Maybe a hobby, maybe a story, anything that just kept my focus, made me feel good, and put me to sleep. I now sleep full nights 8-10 hours. No problem. Waking up still sometimes feels weird, sometimes there is still anxiety there, but I let it happen. I get up, get in the shower, I don't stress out or worry about what I need to do today. It will get done, if it doesn't, maybe I will do it tomorrow or maybe it just wasn't important.

The truth is I did this without pills, I did do this with a Psych, but they brought reassurnace, not a cure. The cure was within me not giving in, but giving up. Giving up thinking anxiously, and giving up reacting to the feelings of anxiety.

Good luck, you can do it, but you have to let go.
    Fantastic news yes i totally agree, I overcame it when i realized, I needed to accept it and go with it, after a while the anxious habit vanished

Ex-sufferer of anxiety and panic disorder, I am willing to help anyone, so feel free and ask for help

hi franklin im so glad i came across your post. your so brave. ive been suffering with dizziness, unsteadyness, brainfog, cant concentrate or see right. cant sit still or relax. the dizziness terrifies me. this is going on over a year now. im so much better than what i was then but i seen to be stuck now with good days and bad days. bad days where i feel like im being pulled to one side. ive seen an ent and neurologist who said they think its stress and anxiety but i just cant accept that anxiety is what started my dizziness.
    when your facing your fear and letting it pass how do you feel? are you dizzy? im so afraid to just sit and let it pass i feel like i will pass out or something.

danielle xx

being afraid to sit still is a very common issue with anxiety. When we sit still we are very aware of the uncomfortable feeling of anxiety. When we are up standing, moving around, or doing something it makes us feel like we have control of it. That we can prevent whatever bad that is about to happen.

I think the most disappointing thing people feel when they are fully prepared to accept the anxiety is that the physical sensations remain, much much longer than anyone would like. Dizziness or unsteadiness as many describe it is probably the worst in my opinion, because it constantly brings our attention back to the the anxiety and fear.

There is no simple cure, in order to get past it you have to learn to live with it. That simply means that you have to practice just letting go and allowing it happen. You may think you have the control, but your brain's automatic response is impossible to control, so when it strikes with anxiety you have to learn to accept it.

The way i've learned to combat this, as scary as it sounds, is just to allow what is going to happen, happen. The reality is that anxiety will tell you that you are going to fall, pass out, scream, throw up, die. You will not recover until you say "Okay, let this happen" And then I promise you 101% of the time none of them will happen. Once you have formed the habit to say "Okay, let this happen" you will learn that the effects of just not caring actually decreases the anxiety.

Not at first, maybe not in the first day, maybe not in the first week, maybe not in the first month. But, over time you're going to begin to realize that nothing happens and you wake up the next day and that you still exist.

So instead of your previous instant reaction to run home, into your room, and lie in bed with overwhelming fear. You now have a tool to sit through it.

good post franklin, glad you are coping with it.

This is reassuring, however although it all makes perfect sense...It's just so much harder to not let the feelings bother you. I've tried so much to just say to myself 'come on then....make me feel bad' and I know nothig bad happens in the end but I still do nothing but think about the anxiety! :/

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread Information