Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Dont Laugh - Hairdresser phobia!!

Re: Dont Laugh - Hairdresser phobia!!

Haha, this is amazing!! I also thought it was literally just me with a fear of hairdressers! I detest them, will grow my hair for as long as possible, to ridiculous lengths for a boy just so I don't have to go :P Can't believe I'm not alone, this has made my day, thanks guys Has anyone thought of any coping techniques yet??

I have problems with the hairdresser too, i just bear it and talk about my degree with him...anything to take my mind off the fact someone is...nvm.

Question Re: Dont Laugh - Hairdresser phobia!!

Hi Everyone,

I am really struggling with this too! I worked in a hairdressers for two years, I was so unhappy there and that's where my anxiety/panic attacks started. It happened near enough every day until I started taking Propanalol. Even then I still had awful anxiety, especially when I was made to have my hair done every couple of months.

Now I've been happily in my new job for around a year, I have learnt to deal with my anxiety and I know how to calm myself during panic attacks. I'm still taking propanalol near enough every day depending on how i'm feeling and what situations I face that day. The key thing is breathing techniques and it helps so much to be able to leave if you need to or just knowing that option is available.

Problem is.... I havn't had my hair colored in about a year and a half now I would really like to go and have it done but my past experiences have left me petrified of going to the hairdressers!
    It's just having all that attention on you and having to sit with a stranger whilst looking at yourself in the mirror for hours. Also you can't just get up and leave. I go all red and blotchy also and you cannot cover that when your hair is all off your face!

Desperately need some help :( I want to get it done before my holiday next month but I don't see how that's possible if I'm already worrying this much when I haven't even booked the appointment yet!

I think I might have posted on this threads before.
    I have bought a home dye and will do it myself at home today.
    I trim my hair myself now.
    The last time I plucked up courage to go to the walk in hairdressers
    I asked for a dry trim and they charged me £13 something and I was in there for about five minuets

I thought it was just me who had this fear! Everything about the hairdressers gets to me! The fact you have to make small talk, the waiting while your hair gets done, how busy a salon can be etc.

I find going to the hairdressers as scary as going to the dentist. Luckily, my mum used to be a hairdresser so I never go there any more and just get my mum to do my hair for me at her house because she takes panic attacks too she understands if I need to step outside for a few mins and all that jazz.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

I stopped going and being a male my visits did not even take that long but my anxiety would get so bad I would keep putting it off until my hair was far to long and a mess. These days I just use my clippers on no.6 and job done, much less stressful

I totally get this as well. its being stuck there once she starts cutting. and then tjey usually start talking about holidays etc and im trying so hard to concentrate on my breathing!!! I go to diff ones all the time incase i do have to leave

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information