Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Agoraphobia and DLA

Re: Agoraphobia and DLA

I get the lower mobility rate of £17.10 a week. I did try to apply for the lower care element too but was turned down. It never seems to make any sense to me as to how they reach their decisions. I know a few people who have the same needs as me but are on different levels of this benefit.

Hi Lyn, unfortunately it is totally hit and miss and relies on the assesors attitude to mental health, it is the same as in the medical profesion, i have had a few sympathetic understanding doctors but the majority have been it's all in your mind - pull yourself together types, and these could be the ones making the decision wether to award you the benefit or not. I also have a blue badge for parking and have been on the recieving end of loads of whispered comments and tutting on getting out of the car (even from family who know how the panic attacks affect me and should know better), just cause they can't see it they don't believe your are ill and i dread someone actually confronting me one day when we are parking and having to explain myself. Contrary to popular belief blue badges and benefits aren't easy to get and i wish the public would accept that if we have been assesed and awarded something there is a good reason for it.

Jacqui xxx

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

remember dla is not so much the illness as the care you need at home and to get around
    god bless

Hi Helen,

YES, you should definitely apply for DLA. As previous posters have said, answer the questions on your worst days. If possible get someone, like a medical professional or mental health charity to help you fill out the form. Don't be put off by the "difficult" questions and if you don't get awarded it first time, APPEAL.

Good Luck.

Haz.

This thread is an old one so the DLA will have changed.

Yes 4 years old now lol

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Lol! So it is, I never even noticed.

Haz. x

Hi im new here and just wanted to know if anybody can give me any advise ? back in feb i began to experience some really strange symptoms of derealisation and depersonalisaton and hallucinations / voices ? them from out of the blue very bag panic attacks that has now left me housebound ' at the moment the benefit i am getting is ESA, i am at the stage of sending my medical evidence to the DWP to try and claim for pip, would anybody be so kind as to tell me what my chances are - my panic disorder is so saveer i can have up to 5 or 6 a day,almost everything i do now has been limited, kind regards - eddie

TO EDDIEP:

Hi, i have had a very simular experience and i was put into support group for esa without a medical assesment requird as doctors notes and phsych reports where enough evidence for them to mae a decision...i am now applying for pip and i recieved a letter telling me that i dont have to have the face2face and i am now waiting for a decison. Cant say wat my chances are but because i was put straight into support group for esa without a face2face and now pip did a paper based report no face2face, it is looking good. And my illness is simlar to yours but i also have other issues. LiKe substance misuse and depression. But i suffer panic attacks, delusional (shitzophrania) and psychosis. I also have a clawed hand...so yea i would apply... And if u have let me know how it went, thanx...

ALSO I KNOW PANIC ATTACKS ARE HORRIBLE AND CANT REALLY BE HELPED, BUT YOU CAN CONTROL HOW BAD YOU REACT. I HAVE LEARNED MYSELF AFTER GOING THROUGH THEM FOR SO LONG THAT EVENTUALLY YOU GAIN MORE CONTROL OVER HOW YOU REACT TO THEM, AND EVENTUALLY YOU CAN CONTROL THEM ALLTOGETHER IF YOU PROGRAMME YOURSELF THROUGH REPETITION THERAPY...

I KNOW ITS DIFFICULT, BUT IT CAN BE DONE, AND MY PANIC ATACKS USED TO BE HORENDOUS AND I LITERELY PRAYED TO GOD FOR HELP DURING THEM BECAUSE THEY WHERE SO BAD...EVENTUALLY I STARTED MEDITATING INSTEAD OF PANICKING AND EVENTUALLY STARTED TO GAIN SOME CONTROL DURING THE ATTACKS RATHER THAN JUST GOING NUTS... I KNOW EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT BUT MEDITATION WORKS FOR ME...JUST CLOSE YOUR EYES, BREATH AND RELAX AND TAKE BACK CONTROL OF THE MOMENT. THERE IS NOTHING TO FEAR WHEN YOU GET YOUR HEADS AROUND IT. AND THE MORE CONTROL U GAIN THE MORE CONFIDENT YOU BECOME AND THE MORE POWER OF CONTROL YOU AQUIRE IN THOSE MOMENTS...

HOPE U GET BETTER ,LET ME KNOW HOW YOUR PIP WENT...IV BEEN WAITING NEARLY 6 MONTHS AND ITS BEEN WITH A DM FOR NEARLY 3...GETTING A BIT PARAOID ABOUT IT TO BE HONEST BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS...
    Last edited by mysterdee888; 06-01-16 at 20:39.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information