Thread: Saying "Hello" - F/40/Canada - long time HA sufferer

Smile Saying "Hello" - F/40/Canada - long time HA sufferer

After having visited the "No More Panic" forums thousands of times over the past ten years, I figured it was finally time to create a profile and join the conversation.

I'm Monica, 40 years old, been w/ my husband for over 20 years (married for almost 10), and two kids, 6 (f) & almost 8 (m). Born and raised in Southern Ontario, outside Toronto.

Anxiety has dogged me almost as long as I can remember -- though it wasn't called that when I was young! I was just "shy", "nervous", over-thought things, etc. And at least since my teens, it has manifested itself as physical ailments with nebulous medical causes. (At least two of my three sisters also have/had health anxiety, and two also had eating disorders.)

Health anxiety, in particular, started to hit me hard in my 20s and I've had ups and downs with it since then. (Perhaps oddly, I found pregnancy to be a bit of a balm against HA! When I was expecting, I was least anxious. But then I had terrible post-partum anxiety after baby #2. I lost an entire year to it. )

It's only very recently that I've started actually seeking out resources to get help for my HA. Most are more GAD focused, rather than on health anxiety, so, while there are definitely some overlapping skills and advice, health anxiety is a bit of a unique beast. I've started attending some group therapy sessions / workshops -- can't say they've been enormously helpful, but I figure I'm learning. My doc has also prescribed me an SSRI, but I haven't had the guts to take it yet. My son is also a worrier and on the anxious side, and I've been seeking out resources for him as well, and I find I learn through that process as well -- the tips are relevant to both of us. (Btw, I feel terrible about this ... I feel he "caught" anxiety from me. )

This community is wonderful; I've always found the help, advice and care in these forums to be absolutely amazing. I hope to contribute to the great vibe here, while we all struggle with the beast that is HA!

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya Phantasia and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Welcome to No More Panic!

Thanks for the welcome, Venusbluejeans! The articles on the main page -- particularly the symptoms lists -- have been a lifeline for me for years. I keep coming back to these wonderful resources.

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post
    Hiya Phantasia and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

Re: Saying "Hello" - F/40/Canada - long time HA sufferer

Hi Phantasia

Welcome to the forums they have helped me over the years and are currently helping with anxiety/depression that i am currently experiencing.
    Purplepie

Thread Information