Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Dementia Worry

Re: Serious Dementia Worry

And further, I wasn’t experiencing any anxiety at all prior. In fact, I actually thought I was starting to come through the other side. It wasn’t until like the fifth or sixth occasion over a three day period I actually noticed and thought back.

You can get anxiety symptoms without feeling anxious. Why are you worrying yourself so much about an impossibility?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    You can get anxiety symptoms without feeling anxious. Why are you worrying yourself so much about an impossibility?
    In no disrespect but surely you can’t get anxiety symptoms without feeling anxious, even subdued anxiety. There are many people in the world who have dementia at an early age which makes me think it’s definitely not an impossibility

Yes, you can suffer physical symptoms of anxiety even if you're sure you're calm at the time.

And no, taken as a proportion of the world's population, there aren't many people under 50 at all who suffer from dementia. Do you personally know anybody your own age with this condition? Do you think anybody else here knows anybody your age who has it?

It sounds like a scary thing to be obsessed over but you definitely do not have dementia. I've worked with a lot of people who have it and it's not like how you describe. You're just reading things online and connecting the wrong dots. Anxiety and memory problems are huge, happens to me all the time! I can literally forget what I was about to say and get all jumbled up, but I know it's because my mind is on other things. My bf often says you're on another planet today - and I am, because I'm thinking about 15 other things. Please don't give this any more of your time, you are fine, you don't have dementia.

The more you worry or focus on something the worse it becomes.
    I forget things all the time, I stumble over words, I forget names and where I put things, I make typos, I make silly mistakes at work, I forgot the name of my daughters school the other day.

I don’t have dementia, but I do have periods of anxiety and a busy life. I blame my anxiety for those lapses. My Mum had dementia and with respect, you don’t. It’s a debilitating disease which you don’t have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1989 View Post
    In no disrespect but surely you can’t get anxiety symptoms without feeling anxious, even subdued anxiety.
    No disrespect but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Anxiety is like a campfire. When you're in the midst of a spiral the fire is burning bright and hot. When the flames die down, there's still a bed of red hot coals burning away just waiting for some more fuel. You may not feel anxious but your body is still on high alert and has a bed of hot anxiety coals inside just waiting to flare up. Just like a campfire, the hot coals of anxiety take a long time to finally go out.
    My mother suffered from dementia for the last few years of her life. The only thing demented here is thinking you actually have it There's also the fact this has been a fear for over two years.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 17-02-19 at 15:44.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Anxiety can absolutely cause a poor memory because you aren't ever completely focused externally, you're always in your own head.

But, there are also a whole host of causes for a bad memory that would be considered before dementia.

My husband is so incredibly absent minded and I'm sure he has ADD but never manages to do anything about it. The one time he asked his doctor she was more keen to suggest depression, which apparently often exhibits as distraction and forgetfulness (especially in men she said). So, if you're truly concerned, those are two things you could inquire about. But, you don't have dementia.

If you've had high blood pressure for that many years, has your doctor ever suggested taking blood pressure medication? That would also be an easy way to see if it's in any way connected to your memory - lower your blood pressure and see if it helps.

Thanks everybody.

The thing is, I was actually happy. The first time in years I could actually say that. As much as I would disagree in the past with anxiety burning in the background I did actually agree with it.

But this happened weeks and weeks after being really happy, no anxious thoughts etc and I actually felt like my normal self.

It’s really accelerated, my memory. You say I’ve had this worry for years are you saying it should be much worse by now (if it were dementia)?

Yes it would be much worse by now if you had dementia.

So just now I was telling my daughter about my old dog, and I forgot it’s name. I couldn’t remember it for a minute and called it by the name of the dog before.

I know that I had something on my mind that was giving me anxiety, not dementia.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information