Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: >>> Hello I'm a hypochondriac with... Heart worries<<<

>>> Hello I'm a hypochondriac with... Heart worries<<<

Hello, I am new to no more panic however I have been an avid reader for some time. I have suffered with hypochondria since I was 17 (I am now 28) and have feared most illness which have resulted in me having numerous medical tests most of which I have funded privately. This has caused me to struggle financially but thankfully I am not in debt as a result of it. Every time I obsess about an illness I am convinced that "this time it's real"

I have fallen foul of body scanning and dr google. I also seek reassurance from others and doctors. I avoid medical tv programmes as I fear that these may have me convinced that I have a new illness.

I wanted to speak up as I know all of you on this forum are going through what I am going through. I know that I will not find the reassurance that I need from this forum... I just want to speak to people who understand me! I will only get better by seaking the right help. I have tried SSRI's and cbt but neither worked and I fell back into my old habits. I only get worked when I have symptoms. When I am symptom free I tend not to worry.

So what fuels my anxiety... I think it's a fear of death and the unknown. It's human nature to want to survive against all odds and live. I guess it's the way our body's are programmed. There is also other worries like financial and family issues that can arise as a result of being ill. These also make me scared.

A little bit about me. I don't drink or smoke tobacco. I am a normal weight however I do not exercise regularly and my diet is not good. I recently became a father 5 months ago of a wonderful baby boy however he can be stressful and finally my job is stressful at times and I work long hours but I do love my work and can not think of anything else I'd want to do. My work requires me to be fit and at the moment I feel very unfit.

Back in 2008 I recall that I became breathless. This happened suddenly I recall waking up one morning and walking to the bathroom. I felt breathless. Something didn't feel right. I also experienced fast heart rate, chest tightness and the feeling of not being able to take a deep enough breath. These symptoms ultimately resulted with me attending a&e. I was admitted to hospital where I had a series of blood tests specific to the heart, physical exam, ECG, chest x-ray, echocardiogram and liver and kidney blood tests. All tests came back normal. The dr did say that there was a small amount of fluid around the sack that lined my heart. I was given a diagnosis of post viral fatigue and told to take regular ibuprofen.

I felt relieved and thought "ok I got worked up but everything is fine" I assumed my symptoms would improve but unfortunately they didn't and my health anxiety fear began to raise its ugly head again. I decided to get a second opinion and opted to see a consultant cardiologist. I explained my fears and that dr google told me I was very ill. the cardiologist examined me and agreed that he did not think that my symptoms were related to a cardiac disorder.He agreed that my symptoms were probably post viral.

Hmm end of worry? No. Over the course of several weeks I persuaded him to conduct investigations into my heart which namely comprised of another echocardiogram and an ECG stress test. Again the results were all normal. I felt relieved that there was no evidence of a past heart attack or heart disease.
    The dr told me I had performed well on the exercise test and achieve a target heart rate of 94 percent. (13.8 mets)
    In the intervening 2 and a half years I felt palps with minimum exertion. However these were occasional and I manged to not get upset about them. In july 2011 I had a return of my fast heart rate and breathlessness with minimum exertion. These symptoms were now accompanied by chest pain that was constant throughout the day. The pain moved from my upper left beast, my left side and shoulder blade. The pain would also radiate to my jaw and left arm. I also had pains in my left leg. I began to panic and thought blood clot or heart disease. I decided to visit my cardiologist again. He examined and performed an ecg, my cardiologist thought I was suffering from post viral symptoms again. He said he could bot hear any fluid around my heart and stated that considering I had a negative stress test and echo that it was higBhly unlikely that I had developed a new cardiac disorder. Ok I felt reassured for abit however the pain got worse. So about a month or so later I went back to my cardiologist who said that he still didn't think my problem was heart related however he wanted me to have a chest x-ray, chest ct and some more blood tests. I have had my chest x-ray but haven't got the results as of yet and I am still awaiting my gp to arrange my ct scan and bloods. My symptoms persisted, feeling scared one evening i went to a & e and told the drs there my story and current symptoms. They did some blood tests and a resting ecg. All were clear and thet basically told me to go away. Since this I have visited my cardiologost again and he seems to think that my symptoms are not related to any heart problem and said that he is 99 percent sure my symptoms are not due to a medical problem. He then said he only ordered the chest X-ray, ct scan and bloods to rule out possible problems. On our last meeting he reviewed my negative tests with me (heart echo and exercise ECG from 2008). He didn't even examine me and suggested that I start citalopram again. I have not disclosed to him that I have health anxiety but he is beginning to see the cracks. I do trust my cardiologist but I fear that in the intervening years between my negative tests with him and now that I may have got heart disease or it was missed last time.

I admit that I am feeling low at the moment but I feel that I am being fobbed off. I feel short of breath walking 50 yards or so. I struggle to walk around holding my baby due to chest pain and shortness if breath. I also am exhausted walking up stairs or hills. I feel scared and alone because none of my family know what I'm going through, I feel ashamed that I am a hypochondriac and if I am I'll I will feel weak. I am unsure whether I should arrange another exercise ECG, I doubt my cardiologist will arrange another for me so I will probably have to find another private doctor. I don't want to put these symptoms down to anxiety and miss any obvious medical cause.
    I have arranged to go back to my gp tomorrow to discuss my ongoing symptoms.
    I am apologise for the long post, I just wanted to air my feelings. If I bored anyone im sorry however I'm confident that everyone reading this post will know what I'm going through.

I hope everyone feels better soon or remains feeling anxiety free.

Re: >>> Hello I'm a hypochondriac with... Heart worries<<<

I have been feeling the same way recently. And I agree that the fear of death is what keeps fueling these fears. I've had back pain, chest pain, shortness of breath, pins and needles in hands and feet, so much more i would be writing a novel if I listed all my symptoms! Last week I went to the ER convinced I was having a heart attack...EKG, blood tests, ECHO, all came back normal, but I still have these fears. Currently waiting on results from 24 hour holter monitor. I wish you the best and just know there are many of us on here with the same fears. Keep us posted on your situation...hope you can find some peace soon. Xx

After reading your post i can definately relate. I get the same feelings and thoughts as you and am completely obsessed about my heart. I constanly check my pulse. If its too slow i panic, if its too fast i panic. There's no pleasing me. I'm a single mum of 3 and i think that makes things worse for me as they only have me and i don't want to leave them!! And it's true, people that don't suffer Health anxiety find it hard to understand. I find it bizzare myself at times and find it unbelievable the things that can set me off, sometimes i can even laugh about it but deep down its no laughing matter and a very serious problem. I hope you start to feel better soon. Your definately not alone. Just try and make the best of the good days. If only there was a cure hey!

Exclamation Re: >>> Hello I'm a hypochondriac with... Heart worries<<<

Hi luv2teach and Clare. Thanks for taking the time to reply. How are you guys feelibg today? Health anxiety is rotten and ruins life and happiness.

I saw a private GP today.(I have seen him before) I told him the story and showed him my negative test results so far. GP said that he thinks it's unlikely that i have heart disease however he will arrange me another ECG stress test. Being a victim of health anxiety i obviously read into every word he said and found myself thinking "ahh he didnt say impossible" does anyone else do that? GP has also given me a prescription for citalopram for me to start taking. I feel reluctant to take citalopram due to side effects but the dr said its one of the better SSRI's... Does anyone else think long term meds work for them?

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Oww I just wanted to add.. Can anyone advise of any good coping techniques to reduce their anxiety. Exercise is always a good one however not so good for a hypochondriac with heart worries.

Hi
    I can understand where your at totally. Ive had a holter monitor twice and several ecgs which were normal. However I had an echo of my heart last year that showed a PFO .This is a small hole we all have in our hearts when in the womb and it closes after birth but in 1 in 4 people it never closes.
    This has never caused me any problems and the anxiety palps I was suffering from were NOT related to this
    I suppose what Im trying to say is that for years Ive worried about my heart and then when something is found Im told its an incidental finding and common.However to someone with anxiety this doesnt help and I have odd days where I think about this PFO a lot-but theres nothing to be done about it.
    You ve had all the tests and they were normal so in that respect your lucky but I totally understand your anxiety.
    Take care x

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

OOps just to add-Ive been on citalopram for 5 months-the first month was awful but now I feel much calmer-give it a go x

Thanks hyg. I am thankful that nothing has been found so far. I think I will give citalopram a go and battle through the side effects. The roller coaster of emotions is too much to bare sometimes. I feel soo anxious at the moment. It's like my life is oh hold until I either get a diagnosis and can start treatment or I get the all clear. I am soo tempted to go back to a & e as I fear my heart will just stop and I hope they will give me the reassurance so I can feel better but Deep down I know I will be wasting their time. I always feel like a fool when I explain to doctors that my heart has been given the all clear yet I still think there is something seriously wrong. Just out of curiosity do most of you guys suffer with a more general anxiety problem in addition to health anxiety or do some of you just suffer with health anxiety? Personally I think I have health anxiety and a hint of general anxiety. My health worries always take over anything else.

Hi again.
    I think once you have anxiety generally it leads to worry about health issues but really whatever name we give it its still all anxiety !! I cant even remember what triggered my Health anxiety but looking back I think It was after having my first child-I worried about the baby then commuted the worry to my own health.
    I worry about lots of things but particularly health. Ive stopped consulting Dr Google every time I have a twinge as this makes me assume the worse-some of the things Ive thought I had are hilarious when I think back-like when I thought an ear infection was a brain infection WTF !!!!
    I know what you mean about the GP-Ive recently moved and had to change my doctor and I was more worried about that than moving into a new house or finding a job !!!
    Going on citalopram has given me clarity of thought and I can reason things out now without the constant head chatter.
    I found a lot of support on the citalopram part of this forum-people in the same boat so I knew I was nt alone with the side effects and this helped more than any doctors visit x

I

Hi

just read this and its very similar to my story .....i was having bad chest pains random all over my chest a couple of years ago and took myself to a and e never told anyone ....had the ecg etcwhich came back normal and they said all was fine ..it continued so i went to the docs and ended up on citalopram which i came off last aug....im not sure if that helped or not to be honest ......i think had a slight depression if any..now i still get the pains altho its more like a dull ache exactly where i think my heart is and it worries me to madness ...i had a full advance health assessment at Bupa in December including the stress test and all came back ok so surely it would have been picked up if anything was wrong ????

what is this constant pain tho xxxxx :(

i do truly understand your fears xxxx

Hello all... My Health anxiety is bad at the moment. I feel helpless, all I want to do is stay in bed! When I feel like this I just feel like running to a and e and scream "I am ill" I can not concentrate at work and have constant worry hanging over me.

I have had a blood test today to check for blood clots and vit d levels. I should get the results tomorrow, that's prob why im feeling scared... I also have my stress ECG on 19th Jan, I'm scared about this, what if I have a heart attack during the test? I have had a negative ECG stress test in 2008 but I just know that this time it will show that not enough blood is getting to my heart.

All this worry even though every dr I see tells me not to worry. Reading this post back makes me realise how screwed up my head is at the minute!! I know I'm not thinking clearly but can not shake it off.

Hey

if it helps i feel exactly the same and was dreading my stress test i also want to go to a and e all the time ..i have had the odd chest pain today and i just don't know why it keeps happening if nothing is wrong .....goodluck with the test honey and know u r not alone xx

Jo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information