Thread: " Talking changes " self referal service

" Talking changes " self referal service

Hi
    Well when i was at the doctors surgery yesterday (suprise suprise) i noticed on the pin board a poster that said " Talking changes" and under neath it said about it been a free nhs self referall service for people who suffer with anxiety, panic attacks, agrophobia, ocd, depression etc... and anyway when i got back i looked on the internet and it said they offer help, like therapy and meetings and the come and see u at a venue of choice and/or gp surgery and its obviously like cbt therapy,

anyway i rang the number and i have an appointment for a phone chat type thing for 30 mins in feb to assess me and then arrange for a meeting and the best person who will be able to help me, and i asked whats the difference from doing it this was as apposed to been referred by the doctor and its just because it cuts waiting lists of 18 months etc and its a new service apparantly.

I have been waiting for ages to hear something for cbt and now from doing it myself i feel positive. Im sure it will be available around the country and not just northeast england so if anyone is intrested in this its maybe worth a shot

Re: " Talking changes " self referal service

Hi Sarah, Im from the north east and was referred to talking changes. they did the telephone assessment and the woman said i needed high intensity level 3 cbt. well, this was in october and i was given a trainee to do my counselling. She was really nice but because shes a trainee she always has days off, and ive only seen her about 5 times since october!! My gp was really disappointed as if thats High Intensity, then i dread to think what isnt!lol. I have stopped going and will be putting a complaint in as because shes never there, i dont feel as if im getting anywhere :( However, you might have someone much better so see how it goes! Got my fingers crossed for you hun. Charlotte x

Hi
    ooh i see, it probablys sounds to good to be true but i just am sick of been like this everyday and noone cares so i will see what happens i guess. x

I have recently referred myself back to Talking Change for CBT again. I had CBT with them about 2 years ago and they were really helpful.... so I agree, they are great and worth considering if you are thinking about therapy. The usually offer a 12 week course or an open ended course where you can stay until you can deal with your problems. The sessions are 50 minutes weekly. The average waiting list is 6 week, sometimes more, sometimes less, so do not be disheartened. The waiting list used to be a year. My experieces with them were very commendable. I left because I felt I didnt need it anymore, not because they told me I didn't need to go or anything. I am only going back now, because I made loads of progress the first time round, and feel this time, they may be able to tie up a few loose ends with my health anxiety, then help me with my social anxiety which i have never tackled before. x

Thanks for your reply xfilme . I have had CBT before years ago and i was referred by the doctors etc and it was helpful at the time, and it ended because i made huge progress, and now i feel i need it again as i dont think i can cope like this. So hopefullyit will help me, and i no its down to me to try etc. Thanks

There is something very similar in the South East (Hampshire) called italk.

Hi Charlotte,

I am from the North east as well.
    I am hearing about this service for the first time.
    Next time when I see the GP I am gonna ask about it.

Was your surgery performed in the North east as well?
    If so can you PM me which hospital it was?

Thanks and regards

That sounds wonderful I wonder if there is something similar in the Midlands?

I wonder if there is anything in my area... will have to search for it

Thread Information