Thread: Thinking of upping my dose from 20mg to 40mg

Unhappy Thinking of upping my dose from 20mg to 40mg

Hello all,

So I am on day 17 of citalopram, (2 and a half weeks on 20mg) and it really doesn't seem to have done much at all. I am starting to seriously think when I get to 4 weeks I will double the dose from 20 to 40 and see if that helps. If I feel too knocked out at 40, I will reduce to 30 and check again.

But I would hate to not change anything, and keep staying on the 20mg for like 6 months with no effect, that is just a waste of my life, and I want to get on with it and not waste it. I have read on some boards some people stayed for a really long time on a dosage that wasn't helping them, instead of trying to up it, and that is not the position I want to be in.

I know there are other similar threads about changing dosage, but really, all it seems to do is make me feel funny for 3-4 hours in the morning, with no noticeable positive effect. I still don't feel hungry, I still feel low / anxious and it's basically not doing much at all.

And patience is not my forte either!

Re: Thinking of upping my dose from 20mg to 40mg

When I started on Citalopram it took over a month before I started noticing the difference. I would say it is worth the wait, just to see. Considering upping your dose after 2 weeks I personally think it is too soon to expect it to have much of an effect. After I started noticing the difference I didn't up my dose for 7 months.
    I had the same effects, nothing much for the first month, and then one day I woke up, and the only way to describe it was my heart felt lighter. You just need to hold on, and trust. It will happen one day, probably when you stop waiting for it - just like a kettle boiling!

I would wait it out for atleast 5 or so weeks but its up to you. Upping the dose doesn't necessarily mean you will feel better sooner, it could just as easily prolong the anxiety and side effects while your body has to readjust to the new higher dose, just as it was settling on 20mg.

But I know it is hard to be patient and it is pretty much trial and error as they say. Hope things improve for you soon.
    Last edited by Gotagetthroughthis; 04-04-13 at 18:01.

it takes time... believe me

Thanks for the replies everyone, the reason I am unsure is because amongst depression and anxiety I also have OCD, and from what I read, people with OCD generally need a higher dose, as much as 60mg, whereas most other people will be fine with 20-40.

Like I said, the worst thing I can do is just keep waiting and waiting and waiting and nothing much happening.

I too long for the feeling of waking up one morning feeling lighter and happier, I wonder if it's ever going to happen for me?

The thing is, you need to give the medicine time to start working. If you keep upping the dose all you'll do is end up living with the side effects, and not letting them get to the benefits.

Victor, not only do need you wait a bit longer to see if 20mg will be sufficient, as I understand it 40mg is now the maximum prescribed in the UK due to higher doses being linked with heart problems. I hope you are trying to help yourself in other ways too rather than just wait for the pills to work their "magic" - because while they can be a massive help, magic they aren't.

I don't think it's particularly a waking up one morning and feeling great thing either. For me at least it's a more gradual awareness of feeling better x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Thread Information