Thread: Feeling off the rails after 8 months on citalopram

Unhappy Feeling off the rails after 8 months on citalopram

Hi there,
    I am a 22 year old female who is on a 20mg daily dose of citalopram (which I rarely remember to take at the same time every day, never take a dose early but more often than not take it late).
    It seems like my entire personality has changed since coming on these tablets, I was in a 5 year relationship with a loving and caring boyfriend who I have now cheated on several times since taking these tablets, making us no-longer together. I am continuously promiscuous (something i have never been before, and many of the times its unprotected and I am not on birth control) and either FULL of energy and anger or SO tired. I also don't seem to care much about consequences anymore. I have taken up smoking again, speed in my car, get incredibly loud and rude at people and do not concentrate at all in university due to finding it incredibly hard to sit and focus or care about anything.
    I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience on these because as much as I am enjoying now being able to go out and socialize I feel like I am going completely off the rails. I am not trying to blame these tablets for my bad behavior, but it just seems so weird for me to have gone from an all A* student to now failing classes and having a very don't-care-less attitude towards everything?

Thank you so much!

Re: Feeling off the rails after 8 months on citalopram

Hi, when I started on cit I did become very aggressive, driving dangerously and shouting at other motorists. I had to take ownership of myself by learning to relax, take many calming breaths and understand that other people have feelings and opinions too.

If this doesn't help and your behaviour carries on or gets worse, you may need to discuss a change to a different type of medication. There is no defeat or weakness here, some meds will suit some people and not others.

You must take ownership of your thoughts and behaviour as much as possible. In the end, this is the only real way to recover and become a better person, and almost nobody will be sympathetic if you tell them medication is altering your behaviour - people will not understand.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thread Information