Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: comments/observations/suggestions regarding the use of NMP

Re: comments/observations/suggestions regarding the use of NMP

Hi Hanshan, I've noticed this too about the HA section. There are a lot of people worrying they have a physical illness, but not a lot of people asking how to deal with the underlying issue of health anxiety. Reassurance may help the immediate crisis (or may go ignored). I don't think it feeds the problem, but it certainly doesn't have any long-term benefit.

can I just say that this thread was never about how best to give advice or if people listen to the advice (although it is can be very annoying if you are) or if it makes them worse etc....

This thread was made in conjunctions with the Admins and Chat moderators, to think about how members could make the best of visits to NMP and things that we have noticed have been happening that have multiplied our work load.

We just ask that you read the points we have made and think about them so all in all it makes NMP an easier and happier community to be part of and also helps with The admins work load

Emmz

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    It seems half or so of posts in Active Topics relate to health anxiety, that is, the person involved is not focused on their anxiety, but on a symptom which they think may be indicative of a physical illness (cancer or heart disease, etc).

If a person thinks they may have a physical illness, then really the only advice you can give is "See your doctor". Anything else is just reassurance.

My question is - does this reassurance help or feed the problem?
    That's an interesting question. I believe it's comforting to a degree that one knows they're not alone in feeling the way they feel. I often see practical advice being ignored totally. It's as if the person "wants" to have the illness they're stressing about and they're here just to vent their feelings and to seek sympathy and reassurance. Perhaps that's part of the beast called anxiety, I don't really know but there does seem to be a pattern to it. You have a valid point that reassurance just feeds the problem.

It comes down to truly wanting to help themselves as said in Nicola's post. No amount of advice or reassurance will do any good if the individual does not take action and do something about it!

Positive thoughts and prayers.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

When it comes to adding new threads...... I am sure it's very tempting to do this, even if there are threads on similar or the same subject already on the forums.
    I have had to work on being a "habitual attention seeker" for a long time now. I know that seeking attention is counter productive for me. It needs to be avoided or I feed off it.
    I openly admit There are times I yearn to "own" a thread that would attract loads of lovely caring posts. It would make me feel cared for and looked after.
    But ultimately, I have to remind myself that if I am going to start a new thread, or to post my needs in an existing thread.......it needs to be because deep-down I really do need to share what's on my mind. And not because it will feel good to receive support.
    In other words, I am doing it not for out and out attention but because I need constructive help from others to help me past a stumbling block.
    I find that receiving alternative viewpoints here is what helps me past difficulties.
    (& hugs here & there is of course beneficial as well...)

The original post has now been edited slightly, please take the time to have a look

Have read again and I agree fully

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieMoosie View Post
    Have read again and I agree fully
    Me too

Thank you ladies

I agree too