Thread: Is this normal for GERD?

Unhappy Is this normal for GERD?

Hi all.
    I have had GERD like symptoms for about 5 years and have noticed that I often get heartburn when I am hungry. I also often feel somewhat fatigued when this happens. Is this normal? Has anyone else had similar symptoms? I really need some reassurance.
    Regards, Peterthegreatworrier

Re: Is this normal for GERD?

Hi Peter i think its probably the acid you can feel when your stomach is empty. Does eating something relieve it ? Regular small meals are better than 3 larger ones.

As above small regular meals for me if not it kicks off .

That is not scary. Mine is more scary, diagnosed with Gastritis, GERD, Mitral Valve Prolapse,and IBS last year and at the present I am having a full blown chest and back pains.I am really worried if this is a serious problem in my hearr.

Hi Peter atm im also going through this symptoms, so i can really relate to this and nirvanainchains im sorry but your post really scared me as i was also having chest pain as well as back pain, so now i have additional things to worry.

Anothe GERD sufferer here.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperutchie View Post
    Hi Peter atm im also going through this symptoms, so i can really relate to this and nirvanainchains im sorry but your post really scared me as i was also having chest pain as well as back pain, so now i have additional things to worry.
    Try not to worry too much about it - back pain can be caused by GERD as well

Hi Peter and others worried about GERD symptoms. I have GERD and IBS. I've had a gastroscopy which showed nothing so I take 40mg pantoprazole twice daily. I don't get typical symptoms of heartburn but I do sometimes get pain in my back, chest, throat and bizarrely one or other ear. I don't know if this is reassuring to anyone but mine is mostly kept under control if I take the medication, don't lie down after eating, sleep enough and avoid garlic, raw onions, caffeine and chocolate.

Also citrus fruits and tomatoes. Tomatoes are really acidic as is tomato ketchup!

I have severe GERD and IBS and I can definitely attest to the fact that chest pains and back pains are very common. I also get the bizarre gnawing pains that feel like hunger pains (which is probably stomach acid) so I try and get around this by eating small little and often (smaller meals more often throughout the day)

Thread Information