Thread: Fear of Cancer

Fear of Cancer

(I likely should've posted this here, and I tried to delete my other message. Sorry!) Ok, so I've had acid reflux 3-4 years now, and I'm 25. My health anxiety went away for a while, but now it's back. When I sleep, it's hard, because I feel like throwing up. I also have hoarseness from coughing/hyperventilation. All I can think about is esophagus cancer like my uncle had. I did decide to not go through with an endoscopy which a GI prescribed (even though after being monitored for a week, he said I have IBS and /possible/ acid reflux, but he didn't think it was the latter.) He still never went to any worry that it was cancer, and neither did my regular doctor, and they're not even fully sure it's acid reflux it seems. Am I over-worrying in thinking it is cancer? Could it just be my obesity and acid reflux making me feel meh? Sometimes it's hard to swallow, and I just worry a lot. And the hospital took my concerns seriously, they just didn't think it was cancer. I did have a whole bunch of blood tests, tests, a CT scan, etc. after 12-13 visits to the hospital, in which they said I had anxiety when all tests came back clear. Should I just try and like, eat better and really stop worrying? Should I get a test and be honestly concerned that I have something crazy?

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

As a note, he didn't think I absolutely needed the endoscopy, but he just couldn't find anything the matter with me. He had issued a colonoscopy too at the same time. The GI was confident in IBS because even with my symptoms, he said it just didn't line up with acid reflux, and more with IBS.

Re: Fear of Cancer

Honestly after multiple tests and the hospital not being concerned I'd say you're fine, I've had horrific acid reflux myself for two years and it does really suck, finding it hard to swallow is just down to the pain/damage, how often do you get burning sensations? are you on any tablets for it? I'd suggest trying the FODMAP diet x its trial and error in finding out what you can and can't eat. overall I think you're fine, just try altering your diet and if you're still concerned you can always ask for a barium swallow x

All the best

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Re: Fear of Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    after 12-13 visits to the hospital, in which they said I had anxiety when all tests came back clear. Should I just try and like, eat better and really stop worrying?
    I'll answer the same way as in your other post....

Yes and absolutely yes!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information