Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CBT Books

CBT Books

Does anyone know of any books that are CBT based or aimed at helping folks with health anxiety?

Dan

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default...=cms&c=reading

i hope you will find some here. i still think the claire weekes books are the best. i have one i havent read yet that is cbt based, its called embracing the fear . learning to manage anxiety and panic attacks. it is written by judith bemis and amr barrada. dont no what itis like but it is cbt based

just click into the above site for more books
    jackie

Re: CBT Books

It's not specifically for health anxiety but the book that helped me get my life back and give me control over my anxieties is a CBT book called Been There, Done That? by Sam Obitz. The TEA form thought countering exercise has changed my thinking and my life for the better and I highly recommend it if you are willing to work on the CBT exercises daily to get better.
    Last edited by cece; 07-05-11 at 01:48.

Hi again its not a CBT book as such but I have used Understanding Panic Attacks and overcoming fear by Dr Roger Baker. I have loads of bits underlined in it and have found it a great help especially with the health issues I have as it makes me realise that a lot of what I am feeling is "normal" for panic if that makes sense?!?!?!

Hazel

That sounds like the first step of cbt realizing many of the feelings we fear are normal. I'm glad you are feeling better

'essential help for your nerves' by Dr Claire Weekes.
    I read it in 5 days. i could not put it down. Its for people suffering from nervous illness and how to overcome your stress and fears. it was written in the 80's i think but is still very relevant today.i got it from the library on loan but i might see if they have any on play.com

Hi all

I bought Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies - sounds daft I know but its actually quite well written. The excercises are very good although I'm still having trouble making sense of the whole thing - my anxiety just seems to come from no-where as soon as I have to leave the house I get anxious. I cant help thinking that no amount of me replacing a negative emotion with a positive is going to help. Its a case of what the book says is all making sense but in practice it aint happening I suppose it takes patience though so I'll be sticking with it. Its £7.94 on amazon if anyone is interested Its normal retail price is £15.99 so a good deal I'd say!!

Does anyone else find that their anxiety is just free floating and comes from nowhere? with the CBT stuff your basically replacing a negative thought with a more contructive one. I dont tend to go out with a negative thought that I can pin down all I know is as soon as I'm around people thats it I go dizzy and feel faint. I'm not really worried at all about what they think of me or anything like that its so strange.

Take care all

An anxiety sufferer since 29/01/2008 - never giving up even if the way forward sometimes looks like the way backwards.

Hi,

I just bought a book called 'An Introduction to Coping With Health Anxiety' by Charles Young and Brenda Hogan. It's CBT-based and very, very good!! The authors TOTALLY understand our problem and I like the fact that it's not patronising at all.

It has lots of exercises to do, just like a CBT therapist would give you, and I'm finding it helpful. You have to be quite diligent with the 'homework', but it's supposed to be the best therapy for HA.

I bought it from Amazon and it's dead cheap!

A. x
    "There. You've just said it. It got better."

the books by DR CLAIR WEEKS are a must read, theyve helped me so much, you can but them from amazon, hope you feel better soon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstar View Post
    Hi,

I just bought a book called 'An Introduction to Coping With Health Anxiety' by Charles Young and Brenda Hogan. It's CBT-based and very, very good!! The authors TOTALLY understand our problem and I like the fact that it's not patronising at all.

It has lots of exercises to do, just like a CBT therapist would give you, and I'm finding it helpful. You have to be quite diligent with the 'homework', but it's supposed to be the best therapy for HA.

I bought it from Amazon and it's dead cheap!

A. x
    I've ordered this - ta

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information