Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: So... The Norovirus is on the increase in the UK...

Re: So... The Norovirus is on the increase in the UK...

I sympathise with you all here because I suffer with this phobia. What you need to do is take control back for yourself. Have a read of this, it WILL help:
    First & most importantly: The more you think about it, the worse it will get. I can guarantee that even people who are not emets would find themselves feeling nausea if they continually think about getting sick or think repeatedly about anything related to it.
    Let me ask you this.... if someone stood in front of your scratching frantically, scratching their head, their arms, their body..... before long you'd start to feel all itchy & start scratching too. What happened is that this person's behaviour triggered the first thought in your mind about itching. Then that lead to scratching & so on. I just scratched my head because evening thinking about this is making me itch.
    What happens is that simply one negative or horrible thought is leading to another and another...... YOU NEED TO BREAK THE PATTERN OF THOUGHTS. Every time it comes to mind, BREAK THE PATTERN & CHANGE THE SUBJECT IN YOUR MIND to something more healthy and pleasant.
    So yes, playing computer games, listen to music, draw, write. If you're at work, get stuck into something all consuming. Whatever it is, the moment you feel the trigger - fill your mind with something other than these negative thoughts. It is recognising & changing the way you behave when you notice that initial trigger. That trigger point is when you need to act.
    Before you think I'm just saying this to make you feel better - it has worked for me. For example: I used to lie in bed waiting to fall sleep & then the thoughts would begin. Like a film strip every night. Exactly the same sequence of gross things I'd seen or heard, all in relation to "you know what". That set me up brilliantly to lie there awake trawling my mind for more & more horrible things I remember happening in relation to my phobia. Adding to the burden of it all.
    These days when I'm just falling asleep I have far more intersting things to fill my mind & think about now. True, substantiated real life things in my mind & not a load of fear fuelled speculation.
    Of course I still have the phobia but I deal with it now as best I can. Wherever possible I dont let it dictate to me. Sometimes I cant immediately do something to distract myself, particularly if I'm in a situation where I can change my surroundings. There have been occasions when I've been in a trigger situation where I've needed to use techniques that block all my thoughts totally. If my attempts to change the subject of my thoughts dont work, then I move onto step 2: Repeat words over & over in my mind, obliterating all other thoughts. Usually I'll repeat "brick wall" over and over and over. Its just a temporary fix of course & usually if I do that for a minute or whatever is needed. Once I've been able to change my situation & I am no longer feeling triggered then I try to get on with my day in a normal way. Most often I succeed in ridding myself of the obsession & go back to usual.
    I would love to guarantee to everyone that they wont get sick but as we know (and what fuels the fear) is that we know it can happen. Therefore its up to you as individuals. You need to decide for yourself that you are no longer going to let the phobia dictate to you. You can change thought patterns but its necessary for you to make that decision & take control. The more you learn to deal with the phobia the less it will have an affect on your life. But it is up to you.

What a great reply again from you Tessar, thank you so much.

I'm going to be very busy in the next 2 weeks with going out to places and stuff and scared we're going to catch it. Luckily, our town is a small area so I'm hoping it has ran its course through our area and gone now. But I need to go out of town too, to a big city.... :/

.....and a ninja.

I had norovirus a few years ago over xmas and it was horrible, got it from a wedding, thought it was food poisoning at first until we heard 40 other people had gone down with it exactly same time.

It was dreadful, i only threw up 3 times but my poor boyfriend was being sick around every half hour for 12 hours.

I'm so nervous we are going to get it again, you are immune after for around 6 months, obviously this was years ago and its been rife in my area just recently.

My fellas job involves driving all over the country and when he's on site there are lots of rooms and offices he has to pass through, just yesterday he was talking to someone who mentioned he'd had norovirus over the weekend, i'm scared he's going to bring it home one day...

I've had a bad Christmas in fear of catching it again, and i'm stick so anxious, its horrible, i just want to get on with my life.

Folks, all you can do is distract yourself when the thoughts come to mind. As soon as you realise what that your thoughts are dwelling on this, find a way to fill your mind with something else. Sezzy: Any time you get into a panic over this, look at read Iced Diamond's excellent thread below. REad the original post over & over until this new healthier version of events replaces any unrealistic fears or views that have stuck in your mind. It isnt worth spending time dwelling on this....so have a look here:
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...diamond&page=5

Obviously all emetophobics feel pretty much the same about it but reading other people's posts is fine providing you are not going to use it as ammunition to make your phobia worse. That's why I recommend the thread above.

This one has a positive slant to it, someone who managed to laugh about the phobia (despite having difficulty with it)
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=126714

This is a thread started by someone who is facing up to their fear: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=125902

Remember; you arent alone as you'll see from various threads/posts on this site! http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/...c/progress.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Rls1994 View Post
    What a great reply again from you Tessar, thank you so much. :/
    thanks rls I appreciate that.
    Last edited by Tessar; 08-01-13 at 11:29.

Would be interesting to know where everyone is from .. the main problem in my area at the moment (East Lancashire) seems to be 'flu (or is that 'cos I've tried to 'switch off' from the Noro reporting !)

I live in Tooting, London. Have stopped watching or reading the news as all the press have been feulling my phobia until it spiralled out of control two weeks ago. Feeling a bit better now thanks to some excellent posts on this forum and counselling sessions. Also started an excellent book today recommended by my counsellor called Overcoming Anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by RachANeal View Post
    I live in Tooting, London. Have stopped watching or reading the news as all the press have been feulling my phobia until it spiralled out of control two weeks ago. Feeling a bit better now thanks to some excellent posts on this forum and counselling sessions. Also started an excellent book today recommended by my counsellor called Overcoming Anxiety.
    That's really good Rachel, well done to you.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grape View Post
    Would be interesting to know where everyone is from .. the main problem in my area at the moment (East Lancashire) seems to be 'flu (or is that 'cos I've tried to 'switch off' from the Noro reporting !)
    Maybe this is good sign grape, I shall assume that indeed you have changed yor focus & hopefully have had a reduction in your anxiety relating to the phobia?

Thanks Tessar. Your posts have been particularly helpful to me along with Grape, Ice Diamond and Rls1994.

It's good that we can all help each other .. and yes, RachaNeal, I feel so much better not reading the papers or watching the news reports. I think that as 'emets' we almost feel drawn to watch / listen and I used to think I 'had' to listen and read so that I was 'prepared' ... whats that all about!! Will look for the book you mentioned .. thanks for the tip ! And thanks again to Iced Diamond , Tessar and Rls 1994. Love, positive vibes and hugs to all x

You are all fab and helped me immensely xx

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information