Page 40 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

Re: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    I’m sorry but I really don’t understand the relevance of keep asking this, pain is pain, it’s not severe, but it is annoying.
    You just affirmed why I keep asking actually. Is "annoying" really bad enough to post about? Pain is not "pain". It has degrees and to many, its subjective in how we perceive it. 0-3 is considered mild. 4-6 is considered moderate and 7-10 is severe. I consider myself pretty logical and grounded in general and having dealt with major health issues, very subjective on what pain is. My days can vary from a 2 to a 6. 2-3 being "annoying" (ibuprofen material) and 6 being time for prescription meds. Like I said, I've had 7-10 pain. Pain so bad that I literally couldn't drive myself to the hospital and had to go by ambulance. They hit me up with meds in the ER and I woke up a little while later totally wasted but not in as much pain. That was due to a diverticulitis attack. I was in the hospital overnight and spent the next month recovering, dealing with the digestive issues from two antibiotics. It was a good 2 months before things started to return to normal. The pain I had after a triple bypass after they cracked open my chest and the pain I had after surgery to remove cancer from my neck, was 7-10 pain. The gout attacks are 7-10 pain. On top of the everyday pain I have from cancer treatment side effects, I deal with the lovely aches and pains of being 61 years old and the joys of a body that's creaking and cracking more as the years go by

I'm asking because I'm curious as to what you perceive it to be as opposed to what the reality actually is. If its truly to the point that you literally can't stand it anymore, then yeah, go to the hospital. If its "annoying", go take something for it and deal. Sorry to be blunt but that's all you can do. Posting is not going to make it go away. On the contray, its causing you to focus on it and sending you deeper into the rabbit hole.

I commend you for speaking with your doctor and the psychiatrist and now have a game plan. That's a HUGE step forward! Take the meds for the infection and then start the Lyrica. Give it a few weeks to a month or so and I'm confident the spiral you're in will have begun to abate. Then get started on the sessions. In the meantime, you have to try to break this pattern. You know its just making it worse You've had a ton of advice, take some of it onboard and find ways to distract yourself. Set a goal to only post positives.... things you've done that made you feel better as opposed to every niggle and irrational thought that's running through your mind.

I'm really trying to help here and offer you an objective viewpoint concerning pain and pointing out what is so glaringly obvious in your posting pattern. There are some here, no matter what is said, are not getting out of the rabbit hole. You've taken a step that's light years ahead of them. Look back at your history. You've been here many years and have dealt with this well before that. Time to make a stand against the dragon pb. Don't allow it to control your life any longer!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You just affirmed why I keep asking actually. Is "annoying" really bad enough to post about? Pain is not "pain". It has degrees and to many, its subjective in how we perceive it. 0-3 is considered mild. 4-6 is considered moderate and 7-10 is severe. I consider myself pretty logical and grounded in general and having dealt with major health issues, very subjective on what pain is. My days can vary from a 2 to a 6. 2-3 being "annoying" (ibuprofen material) and 6 being time for prescription meds. Like I said, I've had 7-10 pain. Pain so bad that I literally couldn't drive myself to the hospital and had to go by ambulance. They hit me up with meds in the ER and I woke up a little while later totally wasted but not in as much pain. That was due to a diverticulitis attack. I was in the hospital overnight and spent the next month recovering, dealing with the digestive issues from two antibiotics. It was a good 2 months before things started to return to normal. The pain I had after a triple bypass after they cracked open my chest and the pain I had after surgery to remove cancer from my neck, was 7-10 pain. The gout attacks are 7-10 pain. On top of the everyday pain I have from cancer treatment side effects, I deal with the lovely aches and pains of being 61 years old and the joys of a body that's creaking and cracking more as the years go by

I'm asking because I'm curious as to what you perceive it to be as opposed to what the reality actually is. If its truly to the point that you literally can't stand it anymore, then yeah, go to the hospital. If its "annoying", go take something for it and deal. Sorry to be blunt but that's all you can do. Posting is not going to make it go away. On the contray, its causing you to focus on it and sending you deeper into the rabbit hole.

I commend you for speaking with your doctor and the psychiatrist and now have a game plan. That's a HUGE step forward! Take the meds for the infection and then start the Lyrica. Give it a few weeks to a month or so and I'm confident the spiral you're in will have begun to abate. Then get started on the sessions. In the meantime, you have to try to break this pattern. You know its just making it worse You've had a ton of advice, take some of it onboard and find ways to distract yourself. Set a goal to only post positives.... things you've done that made you feel better as opposed to every niggle and irrational thought that's running through your mind.

I'm really trying to help here and offer you an objective viewpoint concerning pain and pointing out what is so glaringly obvious in your posting pattern. There are some here, no matter what is said, are not getting out of the rabbit hole. You've taken a step that's light years ahead of them. Look back at your history. You've been here many years and have dealt with this well before that. Time to make a stand against the dragon pb. Don't allow it to control your life any longer!

Positive thoughts
    Thank you for your reply.
    I really am trying to find a way out of my horrendous anxiety, that dominates nearly every second of every day.
    I think that any pain I have makes me think the worse, I really don’t want to go to AnE anymore.
    I try to avoid taking pain killers, as I would be taking them everyday.
    The psychiatrist said that he felt I was very distressed and that medication should help to start with.
    He also so that anxiety definitely causes pain.
    I have stopped staying in bed all day and try to go out , just to the local shop and for a coffee.
    I know even in the past I have posted a lot but not to this extent.
    I am getting help now, but I know that I really need to help myself.

Painkillers won't help chronic pain. The psychology and treatment behind chronic pain is very different to that of acute pain. Instead of using Dr Google for symptom rumination it may be more helpful to look at ways of dealing with chronic pain ie pain in the same area for more than 6 to 8 weeks if this is what you experience?

Does the psychiatrist know that you use NMP to document your symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Painkillers won't help chronic pain. The psychology and treatment behind chronic pain is very different to that of acute pain. Instead of using Dr Google for symptom rumination it may be more helpful to look at ways of dealing with chronic pain ie pain in the same area for more than 6 to 8 weeks if this is what you experience?

No , he doesn’t, my pain is chronic and recurs in the same areas.
    I try not to google my symptoms and if I do it’s usually the nhs website.

Pain Management Clinics have a long waiting list but I'm sure you'll be referred if your GP thinks you would benefit. It would be a lot more useful than just sending you for loads of tests which never give you lasting reassurance either.

I hope you have a good break at your Aunt's x

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post

Good point Pulisa. Yes, there is a difference between chronic and acute pain. That said, a chronic pain can become acute depending on why its occurring. I have an issue in my neck due to surgery that causes that neck tendon... (you know.... the one that tightens up and sticks out if you grimace) that seizes up like a piece of rebar for no apparent reason and causes extreme pain until the spasms subside. I also suffer from peripheral neuropathy and my feet, while mostly numb, will get the "stabbies", where it feels like I'm being poked with an ice pick. Literally makes me jump when it happens.

Aside from the OTC remedies, I use distraction to help me focus away from the pain and in the case of those neck spasms. (music is my #1 choice I put my headphones on, find something great and turn it up to 10!) I use breathing techniques to help me relax so the spasms abate quickly (doesn't always work but it is what it is :()

The question concerning the psychiatrist is very relevant too. I've asked that many times on the forum. IMO, any mental health professional worth their weight would highly discourage participation on a forum, especially when its been used as a crutch for many years. That said, to do so to encourage others and point them in the right direction is appropriate and in many times beneficial for all involved. "Been there, done that" is an argument that can't be debated.

There comes a time when you need to and can walk without the crutch, even if you have a limp and discomfort doing so.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 02-08-20 at 23:10.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Is the Psych going to work on getting to the root of your H/A and anxiety pb? I do hope you keep up appointments
    Enjoy your time with your Aunt

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Is the Psych going to work on getting to the root of your H/A and anxiety pb? I do hope you keep up appointments
    Enjoy your time with your Aunt
    I’m not sure, to start with he wants me to take the medication to try to reduce my distress and anxiety .

Will you take the pregabalin, pb?

Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    I’m not sure, to start with he wants me to take the medication to try to reduce my distress and anxiety .
    I hope you actually are getting a referral to psychology now because there will inevitably be a very long waiting list. If you're not sure I think you should ring up and see what has been decided. Don't let them fob you off-you need specific psychological therapy for your HA not just a prescription for pregabalin. The meds will help you to be more receptive to therapy

Page 40 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread Information