Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swallowing Anxiety

Exclamation Swallowing Anxiety

Hi For the past month I have had trouble swallowing. It is not a physical issue, because sometimes I'm able to swallow perfectly fine. I developed a fear of forgetting how to swallow and of choking. It's been on and off. It will get really bad some days, where I sometimes can't even swallow my saliva. Some days I barely eat and drink anything. I will then get the courage to start eating and drinking again and I will be fine for a few days/a week. However, it keeps coming back. It's a cycle. I get panicked whenever I'm about to swallow. And it feels so forced. It no longer seems like a natural reflex. How do I overcome this? I know it sounds crazy (trust me, it sounds crazy to me too) but it is so frightening, frustrating, and scary. I can't believe my anxiety has gotten to this point. Has anyone ever struggled with this? Do you have any tips?

Re: Swallowing Anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by moonlightangel View Post
    Hi For the past month I have had trouble swallowing. It is not a physical issue, because sometimes I'm able to swallow perfectly fine. I developed a fear of forgetting how to swallow and of choking. It's been on and off. It will get really bad some days, where I sometimes can't even swallow my saliva. Some days I barely eat and drink anything. I will then get the courage to start eating and drinking again and I will be fine for a few days/a week. However, it keeps coming back. It's a cycle. I get panicked whenever I'm about to swallow. And it feels so forced. It no longer seems like a natural reflex. How do I overcome this? I know it sounds crazy (trust me, it sounds crazy to me too) but it is so frightening, frustrating, and scary. I can't believe my anxiety has gotten to this point. Has anyone ever struggled with this? Do you have any tips?
    I am having exactly the same issue! I wish i coukd tell you a cure but im yet to find it myself. I was told that swallowing is a natural reflex so it will always kick back in at some point. This helps me somwhat but im still having moments everyday when im struggling. Mainly when im drinking my tea or eating a meal. So frustrating. How did this fear start for you?

Quote Originally Posted by chomer86 View Post
    I am having exactly the same issue! I wish i coukd tell you a cure but im yet to find it myself. I was told that swallowing is a natural reflex so it will always kick back in at some point. This helps me somwhat but im still having moments everyday when im struggling. Mainly when im drinking my tea or eating a meal. So frustrating. How did this fear start for you?
    Hi love! I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through the same thing. It has been so scary for me. For me this started about a little over a month ago. It started from me having an inflamed esophagus. Since I have anxiety, I started worrying that I would forget how to swallow, and from there it spiraled out of control. It has been on and off. Some days I'm fine, other days I'm miserable. I never thought that this would ever happen to me. I miss being able to just eat and drink without thinking about it. I'm sending you love and I hope that we find peace.

I do understand what you are going through. I have this myself from time to time. I recently had a throat infection, which mimicked some of the problems I had with the 'globus hystericus' which triggered the whole damn thing off again. The infection has now gone, but the anxiety is still there now. The only positive suggestion I can make is to try and relax as much as possible. Accept that it is down to your anxiety and it will pass over time.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlightangel View Post
    Hi love! I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through the same thing. It has been so scary for me. For me this started about a little over a month ago. It started from me having an inflamed esophagus. Since I have anxiety, I started worrying that I would forget how to swallow, and from there it spiraled out of control. It has been on and off. Some days I'm fine, other days I'm miserable. I never thought that this would ever happen to me. I miss being able to just eat and drink without thinking about it. I'm sending you love and I hope that we find peace.

Me too! I used to love my food and eat without thinking twice about it. Now i sit and dread it because im so nervous. It’s so awful. I reallu hope it passes for us soon. Ive been like this for a month too. :(

One of my worst fears is being tube fed :,( literally makes me want to cry writing it. Think thats how this has got so bad. I get so frightened when i cant eat and worry thats where i’ll end up which is my actual worst nightmare. You would thin that would make it easier to eat but not with my stupid brain the anxiety gets too much and the swallowing thing happens and the worry continues. I wish us all peace asap

Hi, I have had that trouble swallowing for a number of years. It seems to go in cycles. I then panic at the thought of eating. It should be a natural reflex but when the mind is focussing on it, you feel you can't do it. My son was told by a doctor it is because the mind is on it. The only way I can cope with it is to try and get my mind on something else when I am eating. Watch TV or something. It takes a while then suddenly I will realise I ate a meal without thinking about it. Then it goes away for a while. I hope you are perhaps feeling better now.

I have been having problems like this recently too! I am getting a feeling like stuff gets stuck after I swallow and it slowly makes its way down. Like an air bubble is in the way or something. Sometimes I swallow perfectly fine but others its horrible and makes me so scared. I know i have become super sensitive to my throat and swallowing and im also getting a gaggy spasm at the back of my throat when i burp or swallow sometimes. Im really scarred so would love to know if anyone has any answers for this.

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Emmz

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

I feel the same way! Thank you all for your replies. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I'm sending you all love. If any of y'all ever want to message me, feel free

Quote Originally Posted by jessieblue View Post
    I have been having problems like this recently too! I am getting a feeling like stuff gets stuck after I swallow and it slowly makes its way down. Like an air bubble is in the way or something. Sometimes I swallow perfectly fine but others its horrible and makes me so scared. I know i have become super sensitive to my throat and swallowing and im also getting a gaggy spasm at the back of my throat when i burp or swallow sometimes. Im really scarred so would love to know if anyone has any answers for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information