Thread: Lexapro side effects?

Lexapro side effects?

Hi all. My girlfriend just recently (Sunday) began taking 10mg Lexapro, once a day. It was prescribed for general andiety and mild/moderate depression. She took her first 10mg yesterday morning, and a little while later she had an awful headache - a migraine, really. She also felt a bit "weird", and she said her thoughts felt jumbled or "drunken". Obviously it'll take a while to truly start working, but she did say she felt like it took a bit of the edge off, so that's a plus at least.

Are one or both of those (migraine, jumbled thoughts) potential side effects, or are they more likely coincidental? She does have a history of frequent migraine so that didn't surprise me much, but it was the worst one she's had in a long time.

If they are side effects, how long do side effects of Lexapro tend to last? I know that many medications may cause some initial side effects which can disappear after some time (a week, three weeks, etc). Is that typical for any SSRI?

She's only ever taken one medication for anxiety in the past, which was Buspirone. That was six or seven years ago, and she only took it for a few months, I think. This is her first time with Lexapro or similar (any SSRI).

Re: Lexapro side effects?

Quote Originally Posted by bin tenn View Post
    Hi all. My girlfriend just recently (Sunday) began taking 10mg Lexapro, once a day. It was prescribed for general andiety and mild/moderate depression. She took her first 10mg yesterday morning, and a little while later she had an awful headache - a migraine, really. She also felt a bit "weird", and she said her thoughts felt jumbled or "drunken". Obviously it'll take a while to truly start working, but she did say she felt like it took a bit of the edge off, so that's a plus at least.

Are one or both of those (migraine, jumbled thoughts) potential side effects, or are they more likely coincidental? She does have a history of frequent migraine so that didn't surprise me much, but it was the worst one she's had in a long time.

If they are side effects, how long do side effects of Lexapro tend to last? I know that many medications may cause some initial side effects which can disappear after some time (a week, three weeks, etc). Is that typical for any SSRI?

She's only ever taken one medication for anxiety in the past, which was Buspirone. That was six or seven years ago, and she only took it for a few months, I think. This is her first time with Lexapro or similar (any SSRI).
    I had very few side effects with Lexapro.
    My Dr gave me some Valium to help ease on to it.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Re: Lexapro side effects?

Hey there, I had a plethora of side effects including insomnia (ongoing); nausea; diarrhoea; dizziness; exhaustion (ongoing); agitation; a huge spike in anxiety levels etc etc. For me, it took 2 and a bit weeks to settle before returning to “baseline” only with added insomnia and exhaustion. I’m on day 39, with lowered anxiety but massive depersonalisation. I’m contemplating a switch to Citalopram which I was on for about 7 years without issue. Came off it about two years ago because I mistakingly believed I was well. What I didn’t realise is that I was well because of the meds! And so now here I am again, treading water, waiting for the skies to clear. Best of luck to you guys both.

Thread Information