Thread: 4 weeks of swollen tonsils + Flu-like symptoms too.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

4 weeks of swollen tonsils + Flu-like symptoms too.

Hello everyone! Glad I managed to find this place because I've been going a little nuts.

It all started with some trouble clearing my throat of phlegm, which was really annoying me. After reading that this could be a sign of something more serious, I started getting health anxiety. But I wasn't too worried about it in general.

Then came the "flu", or flu like symptoms. First my mouth started going dry and I had some minor trouble swallowing along with a general feeling of "umm something doesn't feel right" for a couple of days.

Then I had a high fever of around 39c or so, shivers/trembling, some phlegm and snot but no real cough or anything along them lines.

Then I started feeling random pain in places, my liver region, then my upper back, then both sides of my abdomen, these have all since gone.

I lost some weight, probably due to the fact I felt like crap, but nothing major. I dropped from about 148lb to 143lbs and have generally held around that number. (I've developed a need to check myself at least twice per day).

I also had numbness in various places, even my face and jaw which was super scary!

Oh, and a couple bouts of diarrhea, and also some nausea (rare, and short periods of time).

Lately I've also had muscle cramps too, but that seems to have stopped now.

Today, I awoke to a wet mouth for the first time in nearly 4 weeks. (Dry mouth is one of my other symptoms).

But, I felt the chills again earlier, my tonsils are still swollen (4 weeks like I said) and my mouth is slightly dry again.

I've been to the ER twice, and have had:

* Chest X-Rays - Front and side, both all clear.
    * A "battery" of blood work (7 vials worth) and nothing came back of concern/all clear.
    * ECG/EKG (whichever one is the quick/simple one) and that was all good.
    * Tested for strep = negative
    * Tested for mono = negative
    * Tested for flu = negative

My diagnosis is "virus and anxiety" which seems plausible, but the swollen tonsils, uvula, dry mouth, and having the chills today are still really bugging me.

I guess it could be a really nasty virus, i've seen quite a few reassuring threads right here on this forum, but I can't shake that nagging thought it might be something more.

Have any of you ever experienced such a virus? Or a bad case of viral tonsillitis/pharyngitis like this? Just looking for like incidents to ease my mind, am planning on booking another Dr's appointment to see if I can get to an ENT or further testing and figure this all out.

Thanks for any help! Trying to keep positive but it's really playing on my mind.
    Last edited by ThroatGoat; 23-06-18 at 15:32.

Thread Information