Thread: Long run of fluttering

Long run of fluttering

So long story short, under some stress at work st the moment and had some flutterings coming back so went to the dr who of course diagnosed stress at the cause. Halter monitor didn’t catch anything other than isolated ectopic so sent on my way.

Fast forward to yesterday where I was working and suddenly felt like my heart wasn’t beating properly. Usually I’d cough or ignore and it would right itself. But this time it didn’t. I had to have a sit down. This must have gone on a couple of minutes where my heart just felt like it was fluttering and the rhythm was all over the place. Then it was fast and I felt shaky. I went home and phoned the dr who said I’d been diagnosed with stress so it didn’t sound like an emergency so to just make a routine appointment.

Trouble is this has really shook me up. I’m scared now that a run of such long arrhythmia is something serious. I’m ok now but I’m living in fear of it happening again. It was terrifying. I had to tell someone at work what was happening. That’s how frightened I was because I would usually try to cover it up and act like nothing is wrong.

Can this actually be normal and not serious?
    Last edited by dodo; 11-12-18 at 08:27.

Re: Long run of fluttering

The same thing happened to me this morning. I have digestive issues and there are times when I get a kind of trapped burp that sets a couple of palps off. This morning it probably happened seven or eight times over the course of a few minutes and I was shaking like a leaf at the end of it.

If it happens again I'll go off to the docs to get it checked but I'm pretty sure it was nothing to worry about and that yours will also be OK. I know palps can be horribly scary things but they are benign more often than not.

I’ve got the same just had a really long run of flutters heart felt all over the place. I’ve been getting this a lot more recently and also a feeling in my throat that I need to cough real weird and frightening. I had an ecg which was normal but it’s only about 5 seconds worth of recording so I’m not convinced. I can’t carry on like this I’m a wreck!

It can be abnormal but not serious.

Stress hormones can cause irritable areas to form on the heart and they can set off any number of random beats. Also, stress can cause gastric issues which irritate the vagus nerve and, again, set off any number of random beats.

I once drank half a litre of ice-cold water and triggered two minutes of atrial fibrillation from annoying my vagus nerve. If you had a faint fluttering and an wildly irregular pulse, you may have a cranky vagus nerve like I did. Do you suffer a lot from heartburn? Maybe that's your answer.

I would hope the doctors give you a heart monitor to wear for a while to see if it can be recorded and you get a proper diagnosis.

But isn’t A Fib dangerous?
    Thank you all for your replies, it’s really appreciated.
    I have recently had a 48 hour monitor, the one you press when you feel something, but I only had one isolated ectopic when I had it on.
    What you describe when you had the water is the closest to what I felt. I didn’t really feel in any way unwell, just odd and shaky afterwards.
    I do have a lot of problems with digestion and I had just wolfed down a biscuit when it happened.

A-fib is a problem if you are an older person with medical conditions and are stuck in a-fib for days to years.

A couple of minutes in a young person is pretty much nothing. And it may not have been that anyway.

As I say, you really need to get it recorded to know what it is, but it may not come back for weeks or months, if ever.

Also, check out York Cardiology of YouTube for lots of good information on palpitations and things. It's quite a reassuring channel.

Ah ok I see, thank you for your reply. I will make that appointment but they didn’t seem much fussed on the phone as id recently had that holster monitor which showed nothing.
    I’m always a bit wary of stuff on YouTube though I’ve heard he is good. I will maybe try and find the link out again.

Thread Information