Thread: Freaked out because something is blocking my tampon??

Freaked out because something is blocking my tampon??

Hi all,
    I'm 20 years old, and I've been getting periods for the past 7 years, and whilst I'm perfectly happy with pads, I'd like the option to use tampons if I should wish to. However, when I've tried, it just doesn't work. I know I was very nervous and tense, but it hurt after I tried and I felt it was as though something was blocking it going into place. Anyway, I got a mirror and I had a little look/self exam and it looks like something is there that's in the way. Everything I read about it mentions the hymen, but it's too thick to be that. The best way to describe it is that it's like a pink piece/ball of tissue in the entrance of my vagina and it seemed attached to the top of it. It's obviously not fully covering my vagina because I get my periods as normal. I am a virgin so I don't know if I'd be able to have sex, but that's not a great concern for me right now, as it's not in my near future plans, but I would like to have the option to use tampons and obviously would like to have sex/ have children someday!

I can't find much information on this, but I don't see it as being an abnormal growth or infection or anything as it's been there at least since I was like 12/13. I'm freaking out about it, so please does anyone have any idea what this is? Or ever had something like it themselves?
    Thank you for any answers x

Re: Freaked out because something is blocking my tampon??

Hi Libra, please don't worry about this ok? I will send you a private message.

ISB ☺ x

---------- Post added at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

It sounds like it is the hymen to be honest. Having periods with it intact is normal. I started menstruation at age 13 but was a virgin until I was older, so having the hymen intact doesn't interfere with periods. It can be a struggle to insert a tampon until the hymen is completely broken. Also it differs in thickness from female to female, but if you are worried about this, perhaps you could go and see one of the nurses at your GP surgery and she will examine you and reassure you.

ISB ☺ x

Quote Originally Posted by I still Believe View Post
    Hi Libra, please don't worry about this ok? I will send you a private message.

ISB ☺ x

---------- Post added at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

It sounds like it is the hymen to be honest. Having periods with it intact is normal. I started menstruation at age 13 but was a virgin until I was older, so having the hymen intact doesn't interfere with periods. It can be a struggle to insert a tampon until the hymen is completely broken. Also it differs in thickness from female to female, but if you are worried about this, perhaps you could go and see one of the nurses at your GP surgery and she will examine you and reassure you.

ISB ☺ x
    Thank you so much. I feel like it's just really thick but I can't see what else it could be. It's not a big issue at the moment as I'm not even that keen on tampons, but I suppose it may break at some point or maybe I will try to insert a tampon again at some point. Thanks for your reassurance

You could have a septate hymen. I used to have one. It looks like a thick piece of tissue that goes across your vagina like a bridge. It kinda looks like you have two separate openings. I had a horrible time taking tampons out. Eventually it stretched out and snapped, but mine was very thick. A lot of women have to get it surgically removed. You can always Google a picture.

I agree with the others.

http://www.kidspot.com.au/parenting/...-using-tampons

The above info might be helpful.
    It's been so long since I had a hymen that I don't have any personal recollection of what it looked or felt like- I had my first child at a very young age, and that pretty much obliterated whatever hymen or remnants of one I might've once had. But what you are describing sounds about right.
    The link says "The hymen is a collar of tissue attached to the vaginal wall, not a membrane that covers the entrance of the vagina as many people believe. It has an opening in the centre, for menstrual blood to flow through. After puberty, the hymen becomes quite elastic and looks like a scrunchy."
    That pretty much sounds like what you're describing, yes?
    If in doubt, see a doctor and ask for a pelvic exam to ensure that all is well.
    I'm sure it's fine.

best wishes.

Thread Information