Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headaches

Unhappy Headaches

Hello all

Just looking for some advice. I've had a headache now for about 2 weeks and don't really know what to do about it.

It's not a crippling headahce, just a nagging pain down the back of my head, sort of at the sides. I thought it was dehydration, so have been drinking masses of water. No improvement. Then I pumped myself full of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol for a few days as well. No improvement.

I often get a headache in the sun when I don't have sunglasses on. That's what this headache feels like - almost like too much light is getting into my eyes. But it's not that

Just wondering what it could be (trying very hard not to engage with thoughts of brain tumours, and avoiding googling at all costs!).

I wondered if maybe it's red wine. I tend to drink a couple of glasses in the evening. I've never had headaches from it before, but maybe that's what it is. Or, maybe a tension headache? I've never had them, but it seems kind of likely. Not sure how you get rid of them. Any ideas? Anyone?

Or maybe I have spent too much time on the computer recently. I don't know

Also felt incredibly tired today, but have been working very hard and it's been stressful, so maybe that's all it is.

Would you go to the doctor's? I don't want to look stupid, but it is starting to get me down

Thanks for any advice you can offer xxx

Re: Headaches

Hello !
    Yes I would go to the Docs. If its worrying you enough to ask then you need to go and get some reassurance. In the meantime try to keep off the booze and see if this also helps !

Thanks for replying Neptuno.

I think I'll make an appointment. Thank you xxx

Hey. Firstly NEVER worry about looking stupid at the doctor's!!! THey are there to help us, quite simpl to make us feel better. Sometimes what is needed to make us feel better is explanation or reassurance. That is their job. Any doctor that makes you feel silly is either trying to show you that you are fine and shouldn't worry OR a judgmental idiot who needs their job re-explaineed to them.

I've had what you describe (though in my case it was down one side of the back of my head and neck only) for nearly a month and a half. I too was trying not to entertain thoughts of brain tumours or whatever. I went to see my doctor twice about it and he reassured me it was tension and stress (which for me made perfect sense). The second apointment with my doctow was only a week and a half ago so this is very recent. Since he reassured me it was nothing, low and behold, the headaches magically disappeared!!! I think I was in a classic anxiety vicious circle where I had headaches from stress and tension but then the worry about the headaches was creating more stress and tension keeping my headaches going.

It really does sound like classic tension / stress headaches but don't be afraid to go see your doc!

Good luck.

Hi Swan,

I used to get really bad headaches a few years ago hun and tormented doctors for weeks but was told it was due to tension. They lasted for so long I was convinced I had a brain tumour. Go see your doctor for reasurrance if nothing else but I would say they are just tension headaches as they sound just like mine did. xx

Mandy xx

"DILLIGAF"

Thanks ECR.

I reall apprectiate your reply and knowing that it might well be a tension headache. So far, it seems a little better today, after a red wine free night last night!

I'm going to see how it goes for the rest of the day, and perhaps make a GP appointment for tomorrow. He's very nice but usually just asks if I'm feeling tearful. Even if I'm not, I always end up bawling!

Thanks again for your reply and I'm really glad you are feeling better xxx

Thanks Mandy.

It does help put my mind at rest knowing that lots of other people have had this too. Now I just need to find something to cure tension headaches!

Happy Days xxx

Hi there,

I get those sorts of headaches a lot, it's just muscular tension. A really good remedy is a wheatbag that you heat up in the microwave for a minute or so and apply to the affected area. This helps the muscles come out of their spasm and the headache eases. Maybe you could give that a try. Or lie in a lovely warm bath!

Regards,

Kate

Thanks Kate

I have one of those wheatbags somewhere. Will give it a try Thought it was better today but is now back with a vengeance. Ho hum

xxx

Hi D-S

Headaches are the pits - I've just had one for 2 weeks aswell. It all stems from my anxiety - I can feel the muscles in the back of my neck and shoulders tightening up and no matter what I do I can't relax them. Painkillers barely touch it and like you I start to the think of the dreaded brain tumour.

Thing is I get this every so often - usually for a couple of weeks at a time. When the anxiety subsides, the headaches tend to go away too. So I say to myself that if it was something more serious I'd have it all the time and with more symptoms.

I also get dizzy with it aswell which doesn't help.

I put a hot water bottle on the back of my neck which does give a bit of relief. You could also try alternating with something cold for a few minutes. But go the drs if you're really worried - sometimes no matter how much reassurance you have, you still can't get the thought out of your head which only makes it worse. I know that from experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information