Thread: Assessing the link between parenting and anxiety in childhood.

Assessing the link between parenting and anxiety in childhood.

I am a psychology student at Lancaster University and am working on a research project looking at the parenting styles of anxious parents and comparing them to none anxious parents, in a study entitled; Assessing the link between parenting and anxiety in childhood. Anxiety in childhood is a really hot topic in the research literature at the moment and requires a lot more work.

Nicholas Todd under the supervision of Professor Charlie Lewis is conducting a research study looking at parental descriptions of their interactions with their children.
    If you
    • have a self-referred or diagnosed anxiety disorder
    • are the parents of a child between 3 and 9 years old, and
    • would be prepared to answer a few short questions
    We would really like you to take part in our study. We are particularly keen to involve resident or involved fathers as well as mothers in this study. Fathers have often been neglected from this type of research for no good reason.

Taking part in this study will give you the opportunity to contribute to research which may help the better understanding of the development of anxiety in childhood, which in turn may contribute to the development of parental interventions.

You can participate face to face, over the phone and on the internet.

To find out more about the project and to take part online visit the following website: http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/research/p9.html

Nicholas Todd
    Psychology Department
    Lancaster University
    Lancaster
    LA1 4YF
    email: n.todd@lancaster.ac.uk

This study has had full approval from the Lancaster University Ethics Committee.

The study end date is the 3rd of October 2008.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Assessing the link between parenting and anxiety in childhood.

I am very much still on the search for new participants, so if you haven't already taken part, and fit the criteria, please do!
    If you would like to contact me about anything at all, please email: n.todd@lancater.ac.uk

Exclamation Re: Assessing the link between parenting and anxiety in childhood.

Thank you so much for everyone who has taken part in my research.

The study end date is fast approaching and I am having one more stint to get as many people taking part as possible. The more that takes part the better the results. At the moment the results are looking very interesting indeed.

So, if you are diagnosed as being anxious or think you might be anxious and have a child between the ages of 3 and 9 please do take part. It is just 3 questionnaires, not there to judge you in anyway - in fact there are no right or wrong answers and you can remain completely anonymous throughout the whole process.

I am happy to talk to anyone considering taking part or have taken part. If you have any questions at all, please email: n.todd@lancater.ac.uk

Best Wishes,

Nick

Thread Information