Hi all, haven’t been about for a bit because things have been ok but I’ve been getting steadily more freaked out over the last few days. I’ve been having terrible brain fog, mixing up my words, forgetting names and generally being really ditsy. The other morning my first thought on waking was my parter and I couldn’t think of his name for a couple of seconds: it felt like forever.
I forgot where the cheese was temporarily in my local Tesco a couple of months ago then today I got a bit puzzled as we were driving to some local woods for a walk. I think I may have been thinking we were going to a different place which is near his mums and couldn’t work out how we’d get there until I realised he meant the place we usually go. This freaked me right out.
I’m 34 and know it’s unlikely but I am scared witless they I am developing early onset dementia or have CJD. I keep worrying that I will forget where I live and when I think like that, I panic. I am avoiding going out a bit now as I’m scared of this. My other half thinks I have anaemia and this as well as my anxiety is a factor but I keep thinking my brain is failing. I’ve taken online memory tests and done Alzheimer’s screenings and these are ok. I’m scared to see my doctor as I think she will tell me this is just anxiety causing brain fog and will try and get me on medication again.
There are a few indicators that this could be due to anemia: I am losing a lot of hair, I’m very tired all the time, I have restless legs in the evenings, am very pale and have dizzy spells and drink a lot of tea (which apparently can leave you very iron deficient) but I just can’t see this being something so simple. I have bought some iron and b12 supplements as I was talking to someone on our local chemist and she has anemia with brain fog and exhaustion as she has needed injections to remedy it!
Someone i went to school with died of CJD, my grandfather had dementia and my aunt died of motor neurone disease so I just feel like neurological problems could be a possibility.
I suppose I just want reassurance really that anxiety and anemia could do this to me. Everyone in my family I talk to says I’m being silly and that memory lapses like this are an everyday occurrence but I just can’t see this is the case.