Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've broken my big toe

Re: I've broken my big toe

Dropped a PHONE and broke a toe, seriously. That surely can't be possible? Was the phone strapped to a breeze block at the time ?

A family member of mine broke a toe a few years ago...went to A and E...told it was broken. That was it; 'nothing we can do for it'. Went home. So, at home I just stopped it moving with strapping and made the person wear flipflops all the time. It will heal. In all honesty, why not read the advice on here and unless its your big toe, or poking out at an odd angle then treat at home...taken from NHS....

How to treat a broken toe at home

Most broken toes can be treated at home. See below for advice about when to see your GP and when to go to hospital.
    The following tips can be used to care for a broken toe:

• Put a piece of cotton wool or gauze between the injured toe and the one next to it, and tape them together with a plaster or surgical tape.
    • Keep your foot raised (ideally above the level of your heart) whenever you can during the first few days – for example, by resting it on cushions. This will help reduce swelling and pain.
    • Hold an ice pack (try frozen peas wrapped in a towel) to the toe for 15-20 minutes every few hours for the first couple of days. Don't apply ice directly to the skin.
    • Rest the toe by not walking or standing for too long at first, and not putting weight on the toe until the pain starts to improve.
    • Take over-the-counter painkillers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen to relieve the pain. Don't give aspirin to a child under 16 years of age.
    • Wear sturdy shoes with a stiff sole that don't squash or bend the toe.

You can gradually return to your normal activities once you're able to wear shoes and walk around without discomfort.
    When to see your GP

Check the toe every day and call your GP if:

• the pain gets worse or isn't relieved by ordinary painkillers – your GP may be able to prescribe a stronger painkiller
    • the swelling or discolouration doesn't improve after a few days
    • you have a wound or broken skin near the injured toe, which will need cleaning to prevent infection
    • you have a condition that affects the nerves or blood circulation in your feet, such as diabetes or peripheral arterial disease (PAD)
    • you're still having problems, such as pain not improving or difficulty walking, after more than two to three weeks

When to go to hospital

Go to your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department if:

• you have had a severe injury, such as your foot being crushed or a road traffic accident
    • you think your big toe is broken
    • your toes are cold and numb or tingling
    • the skin on your toe has turned blue or grey
    • the toe is severely deformed – for example, the toe is bent at an angle or the bone is sticking out of the skin
    • severe pain under the nail, which may be the result of a collection of blood

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Dropped a PHONE and broke a toe, seriously. That surely can't be possible? Was the phone strapped to a breeze block at the time ?

Ha ha ! You know, I was thinking back to the first mobiles when I saw this post, they literally were like that weren't they. They needed their own chair at the table LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information