Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A lot of hospital appointment and tests, update

A lot of hospital appointment and tests, update

My health anxiety has been high lately, I've got many medical things going on which is causing me great worry but I am also glad it's all being addressed.

I've been referred to an endocrinologist, who I saw recently he did a check up and asked about my symptoms and looked at my medical history.
    He then told me there's two paths he wants to look at, hormones, and my heart.

I've had all the hormone testing done and awaiting results. Awaiting an appointment for an ECG, also an echo cardiogram which is like an ultrasound of the heart, and to be fitted with a 24-48 hour heart monitor.

The results are in from my MRI of my inner ears for my pulsatile tinnitus, I have an appointment soon to discuss those and have a hearing test, then it will be scans on my neck to check the arteries etc.

As you can imagine I'm worried, I feel alone and scared but I want to feel positive and lucky that this is all being checked.

My symptoms have been since my baby was born, none improving and many getting worse.

Excessive sweating, I need a change of clothes regularly, sweating without any exertion.

Pounding heart and pulse, not fast but pounding.

Pulse in my right ear 24/7 that sounds like a bass drum.

Shortness of breath

Fatigue(more than usual)

Endocrinologist was great and discussed a lot, we also talked about my anxiety, he agreed that will be adding to this but does think I require some tests.

How do I stat positive, and not think the worst, convincing myself I will have heart failure or a clot.
    Most humans are never fully present in the now, because unconsciously they believe that the next moment must be more important than this one. But then you miss your whole life, which is never not now.
    And that's a revelation for some people: to realize that your life is only ever now. -Eckhart Tolle

Re: A lot of hospital appointment and tests, update

Good luck! Sounds like you are being looked after by great doctors.

I'm sorry you're going through this, it all sounds very stressful, especially with a baby. I know that many women can develop thyroid issues after having babies, so I would think there's a good chance it's hormonal. I hope your results come in quickly and give you some relief!!

Thank you, I am hoping it's hormonal and can be fixed. I've had my thyroid checked but have been told that test isn't always accurate so the endocrinologist is best to diagnose.
    Most humans are never fully present in the now, because unconsciously they believe that the next moment must be more important than this one. But then you miss your whole life, which is never not now.
    And that's a revelation for some people: to realize that your life is only ever now. -Eckhart Tolle

The endocrinologist will run more specific tests for hyperthyroidism.

I hope you get some answers soon, Katie and I'm sorry you have had such a bad time since becoming a Mum. I hope things improve very soon for you and your little family x

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    The endocrinologist will run more specific tests for hyperthyroidism.

I hope you get some answers soon, Katie and I'm sorry you have had such a bad time since becoming a Mum. I hope things improve very soon for you and your little family x
    Thank you so much Pulisa, it's been a rough ride but you have to keep your chin up for your little one don't you. It's very difficult most days and come her sleep time I find myself crying often, it builds through the day as I'm struggling physically to play with her or go out very far, I feel terrible and like I'm not good enough for her, but my partner sets me straight on that. X

You're bound to feel low with all the worry and pain, Katie. Anxiety will just make the symptoms and fatigue worse. You're being treated now and your endocrinologist sounds as if he's doing his best for you-you're not being fobbed off and are having the relevant tests.

You mustn't be hard on yourself-you must get well for your baby girl and you'll have plenty of time to play with her and take her out once you are feeling better and stronger xx

Hormones have alot to answer for throughout our teens, during the child bearing years and then on the lead up to the menopause. I suffered so many physical and mental symptoms through all those years Katie, and ended up on tranquilisers when symptoms got really bad, including heart beating very strongly and erratically, breathlessness, headaches, extreme tension and anxiousness.

The run up to the menopause were particularly bad years and lasted for most of my 40s, and it wasn't until my mid 50s that an underactive thyroid first showed up in a blood test, but i'd had the symptoms since my 30s. I'm in my 60s now and can finally say that I've got through the worst of it all. I've never been offered HRT so I don't know if it would've helped, instead ive been given meds to control anxiety and they came with side effects that just added to the mess.

I hope you get some answers Katie, it's no fun trying to cope whilst not knowing what's causing the symptoms.

Take care
    Cath ☺ x

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    You're bound to feel low with all the worry and pain, Katie. Anxiety will just make the symptoms and fatigue worse. You're being treated now and your endocrinologist sounds as if he's doing his best for you-you're not being fobbed off and are having the relevant tests.

You mustn't be hard on yourself-you must get well for your baby girl and you'll have plenty of time to play with her and take her out once you are feeling better and stronger xx
    The thought of being better and being able to enjoy my baby as I should is what keeps me going, I think of it every night and hope the next day will be better, thsnkyou xX

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine S View Post
    Hormones have alot to answer for throughout our teens, during the child bearing years and then on the lead up to the menopause. I suffered so many physical and mental symptoms through all those years Katie, and ended up on tranquilisers when symptoms got really bad, including heart beating very strongly and erratically, breathlessness, headaches, extreme tension and anxiousness.

The run up to the menopause were particularly bad years and lasted for most of my 40s, and it wasn't until my mid 50s that an underactive thyroid first showed up in a blood test, but i'd had the symptoms since my 30s. I'm in my 60s now and can finally say that I've got through the worst of it all. I've never been offered HRT so I don't know if it would've helped, instead ive been given meds to control anxiety and they came with side effects that just added to the mess.

I hope you get some answers Katie, it's no fun trying to cope whilst not knowing what's causing the symptoms.

Take care
    Cath ☺ x
    Thank you Cath, I can't believe it took so long for a diagnosis. I'm not really clued up on hyper/hypo thyroidism problems which is surprising since I thought I'd researched every medical problem out there lol!

All I know is that the anxiety i have felt these last few months is so unlike my previous anxiety, so intense and uncontrollable really, the sweating the heart pounding it's all so tiring. I've had a million and one strange symptoms postpartum that have gone as quickly as they arrived, postpartum thyroiditis has been mentioned so we will see xx

Having a bad night. Found myself deep in Google and reading stories of people who were suffering similar to me and had heart failure due to a 'thyroid storm'. I can't do anything without my heart pounding and sweating I'm breathless so easily, my neck and ear pounding away every second and I'm losing my mind. I'm terrified I have heart failure and don't know how I'm going to wait weeks for these heart tests. What else would they be doing them for? I should have asked them why.

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

They also asked me if my ankles were ever swollen to which I told them yes some nights they are. Why didn't I ask them more, everything now points towards they suspect heart failure. But if so how can they just let you wait

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information