Thread: What if you don't know why you are depressed?

What if you don't know why you are depressed?

Hi,
    I just had an upsetting time in the gp's, which ended up with my med getting put up at my request, he also said about trying another therapy. I'm coming to the end of quite a long stint of trauma therapy which has helped a lot with specific traumas but not with my suicidal thoughts.
    I've always gone down the therapy route when I get poorly but in the past this has been for very bad anxiety and ptsd. I've never had to target the depression side and I don't know why I'm so depressed so how do you target that?
    It's not all the time either but it can fluctuate so rapidly, I can feel great in the morning, have been for a run or had a good day at work then by the evening or the next day all I can think about is dying or disappearing and there's no point to my life

Re: What if you don't know why you are depressed?

Hi Kate, without knowing the details of your trauma it's difficult to comment on that side of your current state. In my own experience, I've found that the only therapy which has helped in the depression sense is anti-deps. While I can get bad anxiety these days and am currently doing so, the ADs I'm taking seem to stop any depression reaching the lows I've had in the past. I take a combination of venlafaxine and mirtazapine.

I also think that if the depression can be tackled then it doesn't allow the anxiety to become overwhelming. I'll try to remind myself of that next time I'm panicking

The med you requested being upped, I'm assuming that's an anti-dep? I've found an AD being increased tends to take effect more quickly than a change of drug. Hopefully you might notice a difference soon. Try to stay positive and hang in there.

Thank you for the reply, I'm on sertraline for my mmedication. I'm hoping it will just give me the boost I need to keep going. I do try really hard trying to keep busy and activities and exercise, anything to stop me sinking so it's so frustrating when I completely lose hope and don't see a point anymore.
    I feel like if I show I'm still depressed after all this therapy that people will be annoyed with me.

Sertraline does seem to be the 'go to' anti-dep these days. If people become annoyed then that will be a reflection of their lack of empathy and not your problem Kate. You are undergoing this therapy for you, not them. I have a brother with whom I've had about two conversations concerning my problems in nearly 33 years. He just won't accept I have a mental health diagnosis, it isn't discussed. His problem, not mine. Take care of yourself.

I usually take months of devastatingly intense churning and digging of thought before I comprehend what's grating or draining the hell out of me, there's lots of recurrent currents and familiar landmarks as I have a traumatic road that derailed me and that's how I've developed but there's lots fresh between unsalvageable wrecks. Some of it's just temporary hiccups or light bumps to leap over with a few attempts like hurdles, alleviated by acknowledging and adjusting course or attitude, some of it stains and becomes embedded and burns all the time and that's alright too so long as it don't set fire to everything like gleefully leaking oil and congeal to obscure with that vile smog. Happens sometimes but I call them brooding periods and they're necessary but has to be a healthy limit. I need decades more therapy but it's not simple to acquire but what I had in the past taught me much and helped me discover discipline and that I'm a human with my own ingredients/make up and self respect most importantly, if you're still breathing and reaching for growth out of the black, you're doing fine enough.
    ''...an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the after-dream of the reveller upon opium - the bitter lapse into everyday life, the hideous dropping off of the veil. There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart, an unredeemed dreariness of thought which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime.''

Thread Information