Thread: Lymphoma or other blood cancer question

Lymphoma or other blood cancer question

I have a wonderful doctor who appeases my anxiety by letting me get blood work done every 6 months. While my blood work is never perfect he recently told me that all was good and he would see me in 6 months.

I am currently going through a blood cancer freak out right now. I just had the labs done and the only thing that was off was my white blood count was low but the doctor didn't seem to mind. So as to not google and freak myself out, can anyone tell me if a routine blood panel would turn up blood cancers or would something more specific need to be run.

Thanks

Re: Lymphoma or other blood cancer question

I have freaked out about lymphoma and still do. In this case it’s the white blood cells that are high that can be a symptom of lymphoma and other cancers as they are attacking the disease.

This really is an advert for why these kind of tests of reassurance aren't great for people in the long run.

You have had regular blood tests for goodness knows how long, and all you have in that is one little blip that isn't enough to worry a doctor.

You know way better than most people, who won't have had a blood test for years, that you're fine and healthy. But your anxiety will latch onto any wobble or blip that appears because you're constantly looking for for things to go wrong.

Are you doing anything to work on the anxiety, rather than "appease" it?

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stupefy333 View Post
    I have freaked out about lymphoma and still do. In this case it’s the white blood cells that are high that can be a symptom of lymphoma and other cancers as they are attacking the disease.
    If it was the case that this looked to be a symptom of lymphoma, don't you think the doctor would be a little less relaxed about it?

Quote Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
    This really is an advert for why these kind of tests of reassurance aren't great for people in the long run.

You have had regular blood tests for goodness knows how long, and all you have in that is one little blip that isn't enough to worry a doctor.

You know way better than most people, who won't have had a blood test for years, that you're fine and healthy. But your anxiety will latch onto any wobble or blip that appears because you're constantly looking for for things to go wrong.

Are you doing anything to work on the anxiety, rather than "appease" it?

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

If it was the case that this looked to be a symptom of lymphoma, don't you think the doctor would be a little less relaxed about it?

Think you misunderstood my response. The initial post was that the white cells were LOW and that was what was worrying. I am saying that it’s usually the opposite when there may be something to worry about. Though not always because you can have high white cells due to anxiety so I’ve been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupefy333 View Post
    Think you misunderstood my response. The initial post was that the white cells were LOW and that was what was worrying. I am saying that it’s usually the opposite when there may be something to worry about. Though not always because you can have high white cells due to anxiety so I’ve been told.
    Apologies, I misread your post.

Thread Information