Thread: Is this a blood clot?

Is this a blood clot?

A few days ago my knee swelled up like a grapefruit. The swelling is on top of my knee and on one side. The odd thing is that I did nothing to injure it. I have had 3 past surgeries on this knee (years ago) so I honestly think I’d remember any little tweak I felt. The only things I can imagine are that 1) I injured my other knee a couple weeks ago so I have been favoring it and using this knee much more (like bearing weight on it primarily when getting up etc). I’ve done that plenty of times before though and have never experienced swelling. Or 2) I slept on a new and rock hard mattress the night before the swelling started (but not since) so maybe I laid on my knee strangely in the night?

The swollen knee doesn’t really hurt just feels stiff from the swelling. My orthopedist can’t see me for several more days. So I’ve been icing it and resting. Swelling has gotten a bit better but definitely still swollen. This morning I woke up and my calf below the swollen knee is hurting. Kind of a light pulsing ache. No redness or swelling in the calf.

So now my HA is triggering re a blood clot. Two days before my knee started swelling I was on the couch most of the day working (although I think I got up regularly but can’t quite remneber).

Would a blot clot cause knee swelling?
    Last edited by jules321; 03-11-18 at 14:46.

Thread Information