Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is there a difference between suicidal thoughts and simply not wishing to carry on?

is there a difference between suicidal thoughts and simply not wishing to carry on?

Hi, my belief is that suicidal thoughts would be plans like getting tablets or knives or jumping off a bridge and so on, as opposed to the more passive 'not wanting to live' which means that although your feelings off self preservation aren't what they should be you aren't physically jeopardising yourself?

Re: is there a difference between suicidal thoughts and simply not wishing to carry o

I think so. I would never ever kill myself but when I'm at my lowest I do think "it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I just didn't wake up tomorrow"

Re: is there a difference between suicidal thoughts and simply not wishing to carry o

Quote Originally Posted by Suziewuzie View Post
    I think so. I would never ever kill myself but when I'm at my lowest I do think "it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I just didn't wake up tomorrow"
    Yes, that's exactly it. Thanks so much for the kind reply. I'm glad you woke up today, you have helped someone.

Thanks Mark! I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that no matter how bad we feel at least we aren't in such a dark place.

Yeah I would say suicidal thoughts are more about the action. Hope you're okay. X

This is pretty much what my GP said to me when she was working out how depressed I was. I didn't know quite how to put it as I wasn't thinking of ending it, but didn't really want to be here. She said something along the lines of 'so you'd really rather not wake up tomorrow, but have no intention of bringing that about' which pretty much sums it up. She did say reassuringly that it's quite a big step to go from one to the other. For me it's a warning sign that I'm depressed and need to seek help. It's at that point I chose to go back on the anti-depressants.

That's really useful, thanks Tyke. I just can't believe my life sometimes.
    Thanks for the replies. I don't feel good lately.
    Last edited by mark84; 06-11-18 at 05:40.

Sorry to hear you're not having a good time Mark. Are you getting any help? Know that you're not alone in how you're feeling x

Hey I've been there. It's rotten and I'm so sorry you feel like that. Have you got any help? Therapy/meds?

Hey thanks for the replies. I have an old worksheet on depression and lots of them on anxiety from the NHS so I'm trying to work on things a bit. I have managed to go out with my dad for 3 hours this afternoon for a sandwich and chat and he kept me busy and then I've come back and texted a friend about something that is making me sad and he was very supportive so both those things have helped lots today. I am already on anti depressants (and have been for too long, 6 years!), if it continues or gets worse I will get medical help though soon, as several of you know, it's a really grim feeling. I'd gone back to not looking before crossing roads and so on, but I have made sure to change that, it's not fair to me and especially not to the driver of any car in my vicinity.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information