Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared of heart failure...

How to get over heart worries?

I think heart anxiety is the absolute worst type of anxiety, nothing comes close. Constantly checking your pulse and multiplying it by either 6, 4 or 3 to see your bpm. Always having an elevated resting heart rate because you’re so focused on it. Being aware of every heartbeat, feeling your pulse in your arms, hands, chest. Feeling every skip, pause or extra beat.

What gives me anxiety is when my heart is beating too fast or skips or feels like a pause. It feels like a never ending worry but I know if I can beat this fear I’ll beat my anxiety for good. Anyone of you guys have any tips for this? I’ve come along way with anxiety but today I got my first panic attack after one week of no attacks. Why? Because my heart was beating fast when I was driving and I paid attention to it way too much and it ended up chilling at 120bpm for a few minutes and subsided.

Also I’ve noticed Im starting to get startled more easily now especially when I’m driving or loud noises, normal for anxiety as well?

Re: How to get over heart anxiety?

I wish I could tell you there was a trick to getting over heart anxiety. But it’s my current fear, too! And I get the dizziness with it. It’s horrible!

Step 1. Stop checking.
    Step 2. No really, stop checking.

That's pretty much it.

I used to be able to tell my partner what my heart rate was within about 1-2bpm without even checking it I was SO hyper aware of it every single second of the day.

Now I work out every day and deliberately push it up to 150bpm or more.

The trick is step 1 and step 2.

Stop, checking.

I could have written this post myself. Right now I’m sat here and I can feel every heart beat in my chest and it feels like there’s a ferret in there wriggling around! I’ve had ecgs, chest X-rays and an echo and been told my heart is healthy but I’m still obsessed. I’d love to also know a way past this. I’m forever checking my pulse and then I panic when it’s slightly raised which makes it faster and we go round in circles!

Yeah, you have to stop checking. I was told to check my BP and self monitor by my cardiologist for a real condition, and at first it was a nightmare. I could spike my BP and HR 20% just in anticipation of the test. I have gotten used to it, and actually learned how to really relax and bring it down, but self checking when not told to by the doctor is an absolute no, no and a self-perpetuating cycle of despair.

Re: How to get over heart worries?

Wow, so no one else has gone through this huh?

You made a duplicate thread, where people have responded.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Step 1. Stop checking.
    Step 2. No really, stop checking.

That's pretty much it.

I used to be able to tell my partner what my heart rate was within about 1-2bpm without even checking it I was SO hyper aware of it every single second of the day.

Now I work out every day and deliberately push it up to 150bpm or more.

The trick is step 1 and step 2.

Stop, checking.
    That's really it in a nutshell. The analogy of purposely holding your hand over a flame is fitting here. Self checking and being hyper-focused on your normal bodily functions is akin to holding you hand over the flame. Doing so, you get burned.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    You made a duplicate thread, where people have responded.

It finally got responses? Sorry

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information