Thread: escitalopram and major side effects

escitalopram and major side effects

Hi

I have been on this now for 2 and a half weeks. Just been increased from 10mg to 15mg beginning of this week. My anxiety is increasing by the day and so is my dizziness.

I have always suffered with dizziness, but now its totally unbearable. I get little jolts of feeling off balance, feelings like I will just fall over, and walking, well, I seem to stagger.

Why is this happening to me?

I saw my GP who said that ADs may cause dizziness as a side effect but then my phsyc says the dose needs to be higher and get into my system. He wants me to be on it for another month to see if things settle down. Isnt 2 and a half weeks enough to see if this med is working for me?

My GP started talking about blood tests about my dizziness and then he may send me to an ENT Doc. Im worried about the bloods, what wouod they be for?

What can I do to ease my dizziness? Surely, if the AD is to work, it would stop my dizziness all together. If it is not resolving, then could it be that maybe it is not anxiety related?

Please help me, Ive got a 7 weeks old baby to look after too. Im so scared I may drop her or collapse when we are out.

Thanks - Liz xx

Re: escitalopram and major side effects

You could try Stugeron which you can buy at the chemist. It is sold for travel sickness but often can help with dizziness

Joy

PS
    THe blood tests may be to check for anemia as you have just had a baby which could cause weakness and dizziness

Joy

You should allow 28 days when you begin/alter any medication. I get dizzy every now and then too - it's not nice! Hang in there.

hi lizzie i was on 10mg of citalopram then doc increasd it to 30m i had feelings as tho i was constantly on a boat realy unbalanced didnt dare go out after a few weeks things stated to get better .and now five months on im feeeling like myself again i no wer you coming from give citalopram a chance you will start to feel better honestly my anxiety heightened at first then wen my meds wer increased and got in my system i felt alot better . i no that you will to ive had awful time with anxiety dizzyness off balance staggering wen walking similar to your symtoms you will get ther in the end .tc elaine x

Although I'm not on the same meds as you, I too suffer from dizzyness and think I may fall down when I'm out. Keep going out for walks and you will see that it won't happen It has'nt happened to me, keep going and it will get better, I feel sometimes you have to confront your fears. Hope the baby is well I am sure you wont drop it.
    Hang in there.
    Lesleyb

My GP told me it would take a good 28 days for the meds to kick in. I had the feeling of walking to one side and that I may fall over. These have subsided now the meds are in my system.

Hey Lizzie.

I hate to say it, but I think you probably need to give it a bit longer. Do keep in regular contact with your Doctor's though, as of course they know you far better than we do

As for the blood tests.....I am not sure but imagine they will do a full blood count just to check all your vital blood bits and bobs are in order. Anaemia, as someone said, is probably what they will be focusing on. Low Haemoglobin can make you feel tired and dizzy, and being post-natal could be contributing.

They might also check your drug toxicity....to see how high the escitalopram levels are in your blood. I don't think this is likely though, just a thought.

Good luck hun I wish you well xxx

hi gromit just wondering how long it was before you felt the effects of your increase in dose, mine has been increased to 20mg had a fantastic two weeks but last few days have felt this wobbling slightly - more physical effects eg. jittery on waking and numbing of thoughts.

any advice would be great X

Thread Information