Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop Advice?

Re: New Laptop Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Yes I will do! I've had some very helpful advice and information on here and am very grateful. My daughter hates making decisions like this and I know the transition period to the new laptop won't be easy but needs must.. Her old laptop is struggling and so is she..Being able to access the Sims again would be a welcome distraction from her overwhelming anxiety.
    Does it have to be a laptop? Desktop computer no good to her?

I know she wants a laptop. She doesn't do change so replacing anything is very anxiety-inducing for her. It'll have to look and feel just right.

Honestly your advice has really helped, Joe. We've now got some definite options to look at. Thank you!

Hi Pulisa

If you go with mac just know they have a new OS (M1 replacing Intel i5/i7) out late last year. So check out the reviews for gaming. I always thought mac was best for gaming but researching your question now I'm not so sure. I've been in the market for a new laptop for awhile myself now. It has to be geared towards music both recorded and using while playing my drums. But enough about me... Can't wait to hear what you go with. It's like waiting for a new baby!

No problemo. Just post a link to anything you consider here. I'm sure one of us will be able to mull over the specs and give you a heads up on suitability

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Hi Pulisa

If you go with mac just know they have a new OS (M1 replacing Intel i5/i7) out late last year. So check out the reviews for gaming. I always thought mac was best for gaming but researching your question now I'm not so sure. I've been in the market for a new laptop for awhile myself now. It has to be geared towards music both recorded and using while playing my drums. But enough about me... Can't wait to hear what you go with. It's like waiting for a new baby!
    OSX/Mac was never a gaming platform, although Macs can play games. The newer M1 powered Macs are far better suited for games though as the GPU is now integrated with the CPU and RAM offering much greater performance out of a far simpler processor.

For music making in a laptop, Mac is the only choice imo. Core audio is so well integrated with OSX that you can run audio software without the need for an external audio interface with ASIO drivers like you do on PC. Even the newer base model Macbook Airs are on a par with current mid level Mac Pros and top end iMacs because of this.

Oh, I work in audio by the way.

Joe you don't want to look at the new mac pro. Leave it alone. You don't need it

FYI Pulisa. Joe has suggested 2 things to me that I've ended up buying because of his audio knowledge. He knows his stuff in general.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Joe you don't want to look at the new mac pro. Leave it alone. You don't need it
    I'm back on PC for the moment bud, but more and more of my work is video related which means eventually going back to a Mac too is likely to be the way I go. I'll never get a Mac Pro as I don't need one, but I'm keen to see what this years M2 powered Macbook Pro's are like. Being able to edit on the sofa is quite appealing and the PC laptops would require a poxy ASIO interface hanging out the side because of what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I'm back on PC for the moment bud, but more and more of my work is video related which means eventually going back to a Mac too is likely to be the way I go. I'll never get a Mac Pro as I don't need one, but I'm keen to see what this years M2 powered Macbook Pro's are like. Being able to edit on the sofa is quite appealing and the PC laptops would require a poxy ASIO interface hanging out the side because of what I do.
    Ok here's my issue with laptops for drum practice sessions, AJ. The music in the headphones just doesn't get loud enough to meet the actual sound level of the drums. Thanks in advance.

Hey wait a minute! This thread is supposed to be about Pulisa!😂

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Ok here's my issue with laptops for drum practice sessions, AJ. The music in the headphones just doesn't get loud enough to meet the actual sound level of the drums. Thanks in advance.

Hey wait a minute! This thread is supposed to be about Pulisa!
    One of the reasons you'd need an external interface for music work, but you could also try a decent pair of closed back headphones too.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information