Thread: Advice needed for derealization / depersonalization

Advice needed for derealization / depersonalization

Hello all,
    I've been a member of this forum for a few years now, but this time I'm writing for my dad. He has had some issues for some years and finally this year he was diagnosed with GAD.

He has some symptoms, but the most annoying for him is what I think is derealization / depersonalization. He describe it as being confused and "not himself". It happens on some days and last for a few hours.

Compared with 6 months ago before the meds, he's better, but still this "state" happens on some days.

Any advice on how to deal with it, it's appreciated.

Re: Advice needed for derealization / depersonalization

Anxiety effects a part of your brain that controls vision, also if you have anxiety you breathe in a way that increases the amount of C02 in your blood. This imbalance between 02 and C02 deprives the brain of oxygen, leaving you confused and in a daze, which isn't dangerous.

When you feel like this, lay down and breathe slowly and deeply. It isn't dangerous and it's short term, this is a very easy symptom to cope with. Hope I helped

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123 View Post
    Hello all,
    I've been a member of this forum for a few years now, but this time I'm writing for my dad. He has had some issues for some years and finally this year he was diagnosed with GAD.

He has some symptoms, but the most annoying for him is what I think is derealization / depersonalization. He describe it as being confused and "not himself". It happens on some days and last for a few hours.

Compared with 6 months ago before the meds, he's better, but still this "state" happens on some days.

Any advice on how to deal with it, it's appreciated.

What tablets is he on?

Now he's in ecitalopram 20mg, thanx

buy him paul davids book ,it gets to the crux of DP/DR ,which goes btw as I had it extremely bad at one stage
    http://anxietynomore.co.uk/the_book.html

Thread Information