Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here remembers AZ? And rabies fear...

Anyone here remembers AZ? And rabies fear...

Hey Lovely People,

I am one of those HA old timers, I guess. A dubious privilege I'd rather not have, but here I am lol I was active on AZ for about a year just before it shut down. My nickname was fleurdelis82, I think. I remember Leroy scandal, and that other guy's scandal who always worried to have ALS and pretended to be a veteran to elicit sympathy. Yikes. Anyone remembers those old days?

Anyway, I was doing sorta OK for awhile, until a trigger happened. Unrelated to health, I was threatened with a lawsuit, which was a bluff but it did shook me deep to the core. Now the last 2 months or so I am deep in the hole again. Back to my darkest HA days 3 years ago. It got so bad, I just don't see how to handle it anymore. So, today I got back on zoloft. But zoloft doesn't work immediately and I do need some help ASAP, so here goes.

3 days ago I got bit by a domestic bunny at my kids daycare. Apparently that bunny bit people before but I wasn't aware until after the fact. It is a lite scratch but the skin was broken. The owner told me that bunny is isolated and can't have rabies, but I am besides myself with worry. I am aware that there are no documented cases of transmission from rabbits to humans in the US. With that being said here are my *anxiety driven* arguments:

1. They sometimes let parents take that bunny for the weekends. What IF the parents let it out and it got in contact with a rabid raccoon's saliva, or bit by a bat? We have those in FL. Owners may not even know.
    2. I am terrified that if that bunny gets sick, they will just toss it out and replace with a healthy one to avoid problems. And I will never find out and die of rabies.

Please let me know what you think. Do I need to see a doc? Thanks a lot!

---------- Post added at 07:59 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

P.S. I am also aware that rabbits, especially domestic ones, are not considered at risk for rabies. If I go to a doc, what will they do? Highly doubt they will initiate the shots. And I don't want to bring problems to daycare or even worse, had that bunny put down. I just want to make sure I don't get rabies...

Re: Anyone here remembers AZ? And rabies fear...

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239
    Thanks Nicola, I wasn't aware there was a rabies fears subforum.

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 ----------

Anyone? Thoughts? Shall I see a doc and ask about rabies shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Double_Rainbow View Post
    I am one of those HA old timers, I guess. A dubious privilege I'd rather not have, but here I am lol I was active on AZ for about a year just before it shut down. My nickname was fleurdelis82, I think. I remember Leroy scandal, and that other guy's scandal who always worried to have ALS and pretended to be a veteran to elicit sympathy. Yikes. Anyone remembers those old days?
    I remember you! There are many AZ refugees here since AZ shut down. There are also a lot of good folks here and as you're reading, much of the same as was on AZ. There are also some great articles and self help resources here as well.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Man I forgot how hard and taxing on the body can acute anxiety be. I looked up the rabies shots and apparently Walgreens near me has it they say. I will walk in and at least try for the shot. My life is worth it.

Man I forgot how hard and taxing on the body can acute anxiety be. I looked up the rabies shots and apparently Walgreens near me has it they say. I will walk in and at least try for the shot. My life is worth it.
    I've learned that no words on a forum can extract someone from the rabies rabbit hole (unintentional pun intended). A pet rabbit will not have rabies. It's literally impossible but if you want to spend the money for a needless series of shots, ultimately, you'll do what your anxiety tells you to do.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Can't you just check up and see if the rabbit is alive 10 days from the day of the bite. It hasn't been studied in rabbits, but that is the length of time they tell dog and cat bite victims it is safe to observe. I can't imagine rabbits could live longer than dogs.

That is what I would do before talking shots over with a doctor (not Walgreens).

Quote Originally Posted by NervUs View Post
    Can't you just check up and see if the rabbit is alive 10 days from the day of the bite.
    Worrying for ten additional days over an impossible scenario is just feeding the dragon. The fact is, a pet rabbit is not going to pose a threat at all. The fantastical scenarios presented by the OP are just totally out of the realm of reality (Sorry D Rainbow, they are). That's just fact! No amount of "what ifs" or "yeah buts" are going to change that.

Positive thoughts

Walgreen's has rabies shots ??

(I really think you are fine, there's no reason to think the bunny has rabies extremely, highly unlikely)

NancyW, as I got to find out, Walgreens has rabies shots in my area, but they are for prevention, not treatment. Treatment involves evaluation by a physician to determine the risk of exposure, and potential animal testing. She sent me to the ER. I didn't go, because I can't stand a thought of putting that rabbit down for nothing. This will make things worse for me, not better.

NervUS, I haven't seen that bunny since the bite on Thursday. I can't wait until tomorrow when I can hopefully see it in person (it is usually at daycare except on the weekends) and make sure it is alright. The ladies at daycare laughed at me when I mentioned rabies, not in a bad way, but just because it seemed impossible to them. I guess I will HAVE to wait another week and observe it (hopefully I can). Even one day is a total torture, I can't imagine another week. But more than likely, that is what the ER will instruct me to do if I go (shy of killing that rabbit for testing).

Fishmanpa, that is what my bf is saying too. He says there is zero risk and there is no need to watch anything. I do get it 100% in general, but my situation seems exceptional (isn't it always the case for anxiety sufferers?) A bunch of impossible "what ifs" are drowning my brain. I am back to where I was 3 years ago with melanoma fears. And my brain is stuck and I can't snap out of it :-(

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

Can somebody PLEASE explain to me, WHY the following scenarios aren't possible - given that bunnies are not vaccinated against rabies in the US. I am in Florida, we have quite a bit of rabid animal reports lately.

1. Bunny being outside (in a playpen or whatnot) being bit by a rabid bat.
    2. Bunny being outside (maybe in the fenced backyard) being attacked or licked by a rabid wild animal such as raccoon.
    3. Bunny being bit by a rabid pet dog or cat.... this isn't likely, given the mandatory rabid vaccinations for cats/dogs. Still, many people don't vaccinate their pets so this isn't impossible.

PLEASE! and Thanks a lot!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information