Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Puppy Panic

Major Puppy Panic

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me as I'm going through some really difficult times but feel really silly about it.

I have recently brought a new puppy into our home after doing our research and discussing it for a long time. I have huge struggles with adapting to change and because I have been doing really well I wanted to prove to myself I can continue to conquer my anxieties and move forward with my life.

Both my husband and I have grown up with dogs and both really like them,we enjoy walks as do our step children.

So we got the puppy, who is very sweet and already adapting well to our life.

However I am struggling hugely and I'm really dissapointed in myself. I knew I would find it challenging to have a puppy but I have been having huge panic attacks, crying uncontrollably and having these massive sensations of dread. The rest of the family is adjusting to him well and I really hoped that it would be the same for me, but I just have so much anxiety in my stomach I feel sick constantly.

The worst is the panic attacks, sometimes I feel OK and then wham it hits me and no matter how much deep breathing I try to do the tears come and I'm crying uncontrollably (not great when you're at work!)

My husband is being amazing and said that it his dog until I feel ready to share the responsibilities so it gives me time to adjust without the extra pressure. My friends and family who know me well said they weren't surprised by my reaction and over time I will calm down.

Basically if anyone can provide me with any encouragment or have been through similar situations and dont mind sharing them I would be so grateful.

I am so exhausted from the attacks and constant anxiety I jsut want to know it gets better!!

xxx

Re: Major Puppy Panic

Yes it does. If you put new puppy in the search bit at the top, loads of threads will come up about this. It's quite common and happened to me.
    It's all about change which anxiety hates. A new puppy disrupts your routine and your 'normal' which we need. Over time it will diminish and you will have a new normal.
    It will pass...what breed have you got, name?

Oh yes, it will pass.

I got my last puppy over four years ago - he was a rescue and though a baby was NOT normal. He wouldn't have anything to do with anyone but me, was fearful, anxious, reactive, aggressive, etc. That on top of my own anxiety was just a lot and I thought I wouldn't get through it. But I did. He's still quite anxious and very reactive but with time and trainers his circle has expanded and aggression nearly gone away. He's a sweetheart and most importantly I can't imagine life without him.

It's good of your husband to take the reins for awhile and definitely take him up on that. I think once you take the pressure to care for this new creature off of yourself you'll feel better (as you would if a friend got a puppy, for example). And in a few weeks you'll come back and read this and think you're silly for ever having felt this way.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

"This too shall pass"

I always try to remember this quote when I am feeling this way!

It will pass once you get used to your 'new normal' but it sucks for a bit in the meantime.
    x

I had the same thing when I got my kitten. It’s actually what brought me to this forum in the first place! It does pass. You will get through it, change can be so overwhelming at times, you are stronger than you think.

Positive vibes,

Mouse x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Oh my, this really takes me back to when I rescued my dog six years ago. He was a one year old staffie x whippet who had spent all his life either as a stray or in kennels with the RSPCA, so had had no training whatsoever! Many tears and panic attacks....

What you're feeling is normal. A new dog, especially a pup, turns your world upside down to start with. But, with time, your routine will adapt, he'll settle down and you'll feel MUCH better about it. And you'll have a new best friend. Or, as I heard someone else put it, 'Another heartbeat on your side'.

x

Ahhh that's lovely Lissa....another heartbeat by your side. I will remember that

Thank you so much for all of your replies everyone. It really is a comfort to know I'm not the only one that has experienced similar issues does give me hope.
    Another bad evening this eve, another meltdown and broke down infront of my friends.
    Is it normal to feel really detached from my puppy while I feel like this? I feel awful that I don't feel particularly fond of him right now unlike the rest of the family.
    All my anxiety is telling me to do is to give him back too his breeders. I feel so guilty having that thought and I'm not a quitter and do t want the anxiety to beat me but the emotions I have been feeling are so intense all I want to do is be free of them
    To answer your question darksky he is an9 week old n lack lab called duke.
    Thanks again for all your support.

So today was a really bad day.

I missed work because my emotions were all over the b place. I ended up getting an emergency appointment with my gp and he had upped my meds and given me some lorazepam to help with the panic attacks.

I got home and let duke out for a bit but got really overwhelmed and put him back in his pen. I then sobbed on the phone to my mum that I coudnt do this and I'd have to tell my husband I couldn't do it. Then I sobbed some more and took a lorazepam which did kick in and calmed me down.

Saw some friends for a bit but couldn't really focus on much as pretty zoned out but tbh it was nice just to hear them talk and vaguely follow the conversation.
    Went for a walk in the park today and got emotional when I saw other dogs playing,feeling nothing but fear at the thought of.mine doing the same.

Will this actually get easier?!

Yes it will, you've just got to hang in there.

Don't let anxiety dictate to you. Don't let it tell you what to do in your life. A lot of us have been through this and now love our pets dearly.
    You have let Duke become a trigger for your anxiety. But in reality he's done nothing at all, it's all self inflicted thoughts running riot.

I bet if I got a new dog or cat I would go through the same as I did before. The same as you are now. But I would do it, because I know it ends. One day you will look at Duke running around in the park living life to the full and you will wonder what the heck was going through your mind now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information