Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: depersonalization

depersonalization

Hi,
    Has anyone else had depersonalization feelings continuous over a long period of time (like weeks) ?? I've been on Citalopram 20mg for 8 weeks for high anxiety and for the last four have felt like this continuously all day. Not sleeping very well and feel exhausted all the time. It has got worse in intensity the last week.

I know from reading posts in NMP many people get these feelings on/off but do not know of people having it continuous for this long. Last time saw doc she has just kept me on 20mg but think by 8 weeks I should be getting better least a bit?

Someone else on NMP said the Cit. dose of 20mg may be too high but I think that it could be the high anxiety causing it and the Cit not working? Is this a long term side effect of Cit? Any ideas?

Re: depersonalization

Maybe decrease the dose to 15 - 10 mg and see if it helps otherwise i would speak to your GP about it, 8 weeks it's a long time to feel like that.

Hey, I'm into my third week of citalopram now for anxiety and depression.
    I've found depersonalisation to be a problem since I started on Cit..I've also suffered from it before due to the anxiety.
    My dr has never known much about it when I've tried to explain it to him, but I'm seeing someone else when I go next so we shall see.

From everything I've read, people have just said go along with the depersonalisation and just sort of ride it out.

Good Luck xx

Thanks Keta and justagirl.
    Decided to take Keta's advice and see doc when can get appointment and talk about possibly reducing the dose (maybe to 15mg or 10mg) see if this helps. Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for your help.

Talking to my brother who is also on antidepressants (but not SSRIs), he said he had a bad reaction to SSRIs when his anxiety increased considerably and had to stop taking them and concerned the Cit. is effecting me in the same way.

Before taking Cit. I had no depersonalization and my anxiety was high but not like now. Taking this in consideration am thinking that it maybe the meds rather than my illness?

Felt gradually worse from yesterday. The depersonalization has increased. Had panic attacks one after another all last night. My anixety feels very high. Mind is really racing and the "chatterbox" is now in full flow worrying about everything including how I'm feeling and that can't cope. Have been pacing round the house in a total dream. This is definietly the worst I have felt and it is truely awful.

I've stuck with taking Cit this long and dose as everyone told me it will get better and know Cit. is the more tolerant SSRI but not convinced now and thinking now if it is the wrong med for me? Just feel confused as to what to do.

Feel too ill to go to docs today so have stayed in bed and monitor NMP for replies but try to get emergency apointment to see GP tomorrow.. Will try going from 20-10mg at first if GP agrees but is this too much a jump? I know you should come down doses slowly and a very gradual decreae but what is the typical time period other people have tried so that the withdrawl effects are minimised?

Just need reasurance and advice from anybody as very scared. :-(
    Last edited by StressedEric; 17-06-10 at 13:46. Reason: removed incomplete sentence

Hi Eric

I think you should be ok going from 20mg to 10mg i ve done that before and don't remeber having any bad withdrawl symptoms i mean sounds like you in pretty bad way anyway i doubt you would get worse by decreasing to 10mg. I think you might be right not everyone reacts well to Citalopram so your GP should consider different medication for you asap.

Hope you feel better soon

have you tried anything else? hypnosis/CBT.

they may help?

Thanks Keta. God, it's an awful feeling. Finding it hard to even write these replies. I'm shaking all over and just want to block it all out. Trying to calm myself down but very hard.

Oh dear I feel for you. Let us know tomorrow what your GP said.

Will do Keta. Managed to get out of bed now and will try watching a bit of the World cup match this afternoon lying on the sofa downstairs to see if this helps keeping my mind off the worry.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information