Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twitching for two months

Re: Twitching for two months

The appointment went well. She seemed unconcerned and gave me the diagnosis of benign fasiculation syndrome. She mentioned that it was probably post-viral and that it may subside or may stick with me for quite a while.

She did also mention that my anxiety about it being something sinister was probably making me hyper-aware and that I probably was twitching before as well (maybe not as much) but not noticing it.

Anyways, my only question is it seems like a lot of people on here and also on aboutbfs.com got EMGs and my neurologist didn't even mention that as an option. I should probably feel good about that but here I am lol.

Yo,

I had very similar symptoms. Twitching all over body, after the bouts of twitching my legs would feel tired it almost felt like I could barely stand. Had seen neuros, that laughed at me when I asked about ALS as the reflexes were fine. They didn't do an EMG either. And I really really wanted to go to another neurologist because I felt that maybe she didn't consider my symptoms serious enough... But then..

Then I have started to notice the pattern for the twitching. It has started when I was severely stressed at work. I had almost stopped when was on holiday as I literally didn't have time to worry. It has returned with force when I read more and more about ALS. It was significantly reduced when I have started seeing therapist about HA problems. It then had returned when I had to work super long hours again... Well, you get the idea. That has been almost a year of twitching now. Some days I don't feel it, some days I feel like my muscles are operating completely separately from my wishes and hopes, sometimes I feel cramps ...

So don't relapse. You probably not gonna stop twitching, but ir our case - twitching is normal.

Thanks PotatoKing, appreciate your response. Feels good to be in this together!

I started twitching all over about a month ago. It happens randomly and mainly when I am not moving around too much, especially while in bed. I went to a few different doctors, including a neurologist, and they pretty much suggested it was all stress related and that I should visit a psychologist. The neuro did order an MRI of my brain and cervicals to rule out anything, and he said was completely normal, as well as other basic reflex tests. I haven't had an EMG done, but since I don't really notice any severe weakness, I'll hold off on that for now

The only differences with my case and that only a few people have mentioned as well are that it really all started with tingling/numbness in my left hand about 6 weeks ago, which then spread to my other limbs over just a few days. Sometimes I get pain and cramps, especially in my legs and if I walk around a lot (which I have to do for work.) Another thing is that the fascs didn't really start until after I read about what I call the Big One and saw that all the pages I visited mentioned them as a common symptom. Yet another thing I go through is that I would read how breathing became impossible in the later stages, so of course I started to believe that I couldn't breathe properly and started to yawn uncontrollably without pulling in any air, even to the point of having to develop a breathing/relaxation exercise to calm myself down. Sometimes it takes minutes, sometimes up to an hour . . . but doing other things helps with it as well, like chewing gum, drinking water, eating a snack, or just keeping my mind busy with a task like playing guitar or singing. If I really couldn't breathe or had any kind of motor neuron problem, I wouldn't be able to do most or any of those things . . . right?

I'm becoming slowly convinced that it must be some sort of emotionally triggered event, especially after reading posts on this forum. I had a major negative emotional experience a few months ago, and I guess I didn't grieve properly in the sense that I didn't cry or felt depressed about it, really. I don't really show clinical weakness (though I do test my limbs throughout the day), I certainly don't have atrophy, don't stumble or fall or drop things, and no speech problems. None of that, as of yet, and hopefully never . . .

So yeah, tingling and numbness in my hands and feet, cramps and some muscle pain in my back and legs, random fascs, and random weird episodes with my breathing. That's what I'm currently dealing with . . . but if it were anything more serious, like the Big One, I guess the MRI and/or the neurologist or the other Drs. I visited would have seen it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information