Thread: Visit to the Barbers = HIV Contamination Worry & Severe Anxiety.

Visit to the Barbers = HIV Contamination Worry & Severe Anxiety.

Yesterday I visited the barbers, it was a barbers I haven’t tried before and one I wish I hadn’t.

Historically I have never had any contamination worries around getting my haircut more than someone who doesn’t suffer with OCD would have but yesterday proved to be a different story and I now find myself plagued by anxiety and the challenge of resisting the compulsive checking on the internet for reassurance by searching HIV+Barbers+Risk.

The clippers he used felt like razor blades on the back of my neck to the point I nearly asked him to stop but the main worry is in relation when he used the cut throat razor on the back of my neck. I’m 90% sure he took a fresh blade out before he started but just before he did he said “ow have I cut myself there, no I think I’m ok”. He then shaved the back of my neck. I then paid and left.

On the way home I felt the back of my neck and realised there was blood there and my neck felt sore. I suddenly felt very anxious and immediately started worrying about HIV contamination.

Once I got home I used my phone to take pictures of the back of my neck and noticed a couple ofb minor cuts which would have either been caused by the razor blade or the clippers.

Although I’m pretty sure the razor blade he used was new I’m worried his blood could of been on it from where he thinks he cut his hand and then that could of transferred when he cut me.

I’m also worried blood could of been on the clippers.

The situation is made worse by the fact the barbers didn’t look particularly clean and the barber himself was, without wanting to sound disrespectful a bit “rough around the edges”.

I know the risks are pretty small but that doesn’t make it any easier to deal with when dealing with OCD.

I have suffered with HIV worries 10-15 years ago and ended up getting tested 3 months after I believe I contracted it, that was a different situation though.

Any help or advice to get me though this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Visit to the Barbers = HIV Contamination Worry & Severe Anxiety.

It's awful isn't it a health care assistant put her hand in the offensive waste bin recently and then carried on dressing my wound I could even see the blood on other people's bandages and the smell of the bin was awful I had a massive panic attack. I think in your case you need yo call the barber and explain you have health issues and you fear catching hiv ask if theres any possibility the clippers or blade could have been contaminated with blood. If there a decent human being they should be able to put your mind at rest and yes I think it's highly unlikely I believe it's one of those diseases that can't live out side the body so would be destroyed within seconds of contact with the air if you are really concerned get intouch with your doctor and explain what happend xx

Re: Visit to the Barbers = HIV Contamination Worry & Severe Anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Help_UK View Post
    Yesterday I visited the barbers, it was a barbers I haven’t tried before and one I wish I hadn’t.

Historically I have never had any contamination worries around getting my haircut more than someone who doesn’t suffer with OCD would have but yesterday proved to be a different story and I now find myself plagued by anxiety and the challenge of resisting the compulsive checking on the internet for reassurance by searching HIV+Barbers+Risk.

The clippers he used felt like razor blades on the back of my neck to the point I nearly asked him to stop but the main worry is in relation when he used the cut throat razor on the back of my neck. I’m 90% sure he took a fresh blade out before he started but just before he did he said “ow have I cut myself there, no I think I’m ok”. He then shaved the back of my neck. I then paid and left.

On the way home I felt the back of my neck and realised there was blood there and my neck felt sore. I suddenly felt very anxious and immediately started worrying about HIV contamination.

Once I got home I used my phone to take pictures of the back of my neck and noticed a couple ofb minor cuts which would have either been caused by the razor blade or the clippers.

Although I’m pretty sure the razor blade he used was new I’m worried his blood could of been on it from where he thinks he cut his hand and then that could of transferred when he cut me.

I’m also worried blood could of been on the clippers.

The situation is made worse by the fact the barbers didn’t look particularly clean and the barber himself was, without wanting to sound disrespectful a bit “rough around the edges”.

I know the risks are pretty small but that doesn’t make it any easier to deal with when dealing with OCD.

I have suffered with HIV worries 10-15 years ago and ended up getting tested 3 months after I believe I contracted it, that was a different situation though.

Any help or advice to get me though this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have had the HIV worry before.

I’ll keep it short and sweet. The virus dies within being exposed to the air within seconds. I’ve read a lot about it and have equally worried about the barber. You’re okay don’t worry!

Thread Information