Thread: Open wound infection, worried it'll get worse

Open wound infection, worried it'll get worse

Hey everyone,

Been dealing with my HA very well for the past few months, and recently I went to a friends house for some drinks. Long story short I ended up getting a bit tipsy and my friend has this bouncy slide that we all went on for a laugh. I ended up falling down it head first and got a terrible friction-like burn just above my elbow. I didn't think anything of it until the next day when I cleaned it and covered it with a plaster for work. Since, it has been oozing a little bit of yellow fluid (not thick discharge) and it stopped. But now I've been having all over flushes where my skin feels hot and a temp. The wound is taking too long to
    heal in my opinion, and last night I could barely sleep because i felt so ill. I went to the doctors today because I was so worried about it becoming sepsis or
    spreading. The doctor looked at it and said he didn't think it is infected but as I explained my feeling of unwellness, he prescribed me with anti biotics (Flucloxicillion) but he was very quick and said it might be a combination of something else making me feel ill. I'm taking the anti biopics but I'm worried they won't help and I'll end up in hospital fighting for my life. The wound is very slow healing if any.

Any reassurance/support would be amazing. Xxx

Re: Open wound infection, worried it'll get worse

You could always use a topical antiseptic gel like Neosporin or the like. With the antibiotics and the gel, your bases are covered.

The real question is, did they video it? That would be great for Fail Army

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Omg this sounds like me.
    I squeezed a mini lump on Monday or Tuesday, and I saw the doc on Wed for something unrelated, anyway she said ooooo it's an abscess you'll need antibiotics. Anyway, it slowly got worse, and I convinced myself I was getting septicemia. I spent all night in bed shivering then going sweaty for two nights, but my pulse (was a bit fast I must admit but nothing startling - 100) and my temp was relatively normal. The chills and sweats only happened on a night. Anyway, I've just had it drained and all the infection has apparently gone. My doc had prescribed me 4 x 500mg of flucloxicillin too, which I told myself would help with the infection (however I have since learnt big abscesses don't do antibiotics so it wouldn't). I think you're feeling ill from stress of thinking something is wrong. Also, if this helps, my son last week came off his scooter and ended up with a LOT of grazes which were deep - they had a little bit of yellowy stuff coming out of them like you described, but that was it getting better. Nurse said I would know if it was infected as it would ooze and it would stink. I think you're safe. And for future, make sure your tetanus is up to date x

We read so many scare stories about skin infections turning into life-threatening illnesses, but what we have to remember is that happens extremely rarely. We just need to remember the fact that our skin has the capability of repairing itself far more than it allows any serious infection to take hold.

Just ask E.T.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! It's been 24 hours since I started taking the anti biotics but my legs keep burning up, they're not red or swollen, just hot to the touch. I've taken paracetamol and ibruprofen to take it down a few notches, which it has. But it's still there and plaguing me a bit. Not been able to sleep either. The infection site is still hot yet it's scabbing over fairly well and the pus has completely gone, is this normal? Can't go to my doctors until Tuesday because of the bank holiday weekend, they are shut on monday. Going to go work tomorrow and hope I don't have to go home through anxiety as I did today. Luckily my manager is very understanding and told me it was fine. But I wanna sleep tonight so bad, anyone have any tips on sleeping with an infection/fever?

Thanks xxx

wine
    helps every time hahaha

nah seriously just alternate between ibuprofen and paracetamol, drink plenty fluids and thats all you can do

Thread Information