Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recurrent mole/melanoma fear

Recurrent mole/melanoma fear

6B2218AA-041A-4181-B16C-D1EC32AB987F.jpg

According to my dermatologist, this is a “recurrent Nevus”.
    It means I injured it and it grew back looking like a melanoma.
    It was last checked in April. Since then it has changed slightly in appearance from the top photo to the bottom one.
    I went back to my GP about it in July but she wasn’t concerned. However, this thing haunts me. How can I have HA and get used to living with something that looks like a cancer!
    Plus, although it’s still only 4mm and has never changed in size or colour, the shape has changed subtly. I don’t know if this is normal.
    I’m freaking out over this tonight! I just don’t know what to do!!! I’m sure it has developed a new dot of pigment since I last looked!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Recurrent mole/melanoma fear

Because it is smaller than a pencil eraser, does this mean that IF it is a melanoma, that it would be a very early stage?
    Should I wait to see if it gets bigger before seeing a GP or is the fact that it is getting a fluffy border enough reason to go?
    I live in the UK so it’s not easy to see a derm. The GP has to agree that it is needed and refer you. Guidelines state that the mole has to be bigger than 6mm to justify this.
    But surely mine doesn’t look right regardless of size? I just don’t know hat to do!

This isn't a medical advice forum, it's a forum about anxiety, and no-one can give you health advice based on photos. No-one is qualified to do so.

The opinion of your dermatologist and GP - highly trained professionals - is worth the comments of 1,000 posters on here.

The question is are you doing anything to address a flare up in anxiety that won't be kept at bay by firm reassurance from professionals?

Thanks for your reply. I’m not asking for medical advice...more clarification as to whether I should seek medical advice. My health anxiety distorts my sense of logic and makes me see things worse than they are.
    It’s been a number of months since I seen my derm and GP, and the mole has made subtle changes since then.

I’m simply trying to avoid googling, and also not wanting to waste doctors time if this is just in my head.

I just wanted some “WWYD” kind of opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    I just wanted some “WWYD” kind of opinions.
    The question really is; 'What will YOU do?'

Your question (WWYD?) is a lose/lose proposition. Most will say you've been cleared by medical professionals so leave it alone and move on (which won't really quell your worry) but if there's any hint of "see your doctor", it will just feed your dragon.

Knowing that your doctor isn't concerned, why are you? The answer is what you need to address.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

From a previous post of yours "Ok, I’ll afmit this straight off....I’m looking for reassurance! I know it’s a bad cycle"

You have had medical reassurance but having HA means that you come here for more.

This is a cycle only you can break and with your recent good news this is a perfect time to Tame The Dragon.

If you are looking to get better here is a link to the only programme recommended by NMP.

It is not a quick easy fix but it is a permanent way of controlling your anxiety.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robinhall View Post
    Hi
    My name is Robin Hall. I am co-author of the CBT4Panic programme that is recommended here on nomorepanic

I just wanted to let everyone know that the programme will be available permanently FREE online from now on.

You can access all the CBT workbooks, 56 Videos and emergancy audios and Therapist/Patient Dialogues at the following URL

http://cbt4panic.org/

We desperately need your support to get the website out to as many people as possible. Please check it out and share with others who might benefit.

Thanks and I wish you well on your journey of recovery.
    Robin

Thanks for replies all.
    I have genuinely made huge progress with my HA in recent months. I even managed to observe a breast lump for three weeks until it disappeared (without running to the doctor or google!)....a few months ago I’d have never managed that!
    However I do think HA will always be a part of my life. I’m just trying to learn to manage it. But one of the hardest parts of living with HA is figuring out whether symptoms are genuinely concerning and require a doctors attention, or whether it’s all in my head. Again.

This mole has changed since it was last seen by a dr. That is why I’m asking about it here! Because the change is subtle...so I don’t know if it’s a big deal or not. My HA makes logic difficult.
    I’ve book a doctors appointment but I cannot be seen for two weeks, and as everyone with HA knows, waiting makes our anxiety worse. I just wish someone could look at it today!

Huge progress? - sorry I have to question that. Look back on your post history.

I have given you a link to a proven help to recovery, have you looked at it?

Sorry to be so blunt but you have said that you want to get a handle on your HA, then you come back looking for reassurance, and repeat.

That is really harsh Ellen. It’s true that you only see one side of the story but please don’t knock the progress that I have made!
    Back in January I wasn’t eating, I was at the doctors twice a week, I lived on google and I was cutting off my own moles due to panic from HA.
    Fast forward ten months and the worst part of my HA is asking for opinions on a forum.
    Yes, I’ve looked at your link. I’ve seen it before. I currently take medication, attend CBT and have started to exercise. I’m trying my best. More than you know.
    So forgive me for coming online to the onlyboutlet I have to talk about my concerns.
    I won’t be doing it anymore!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information