Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoarse voice for months

Hoarse voice for months

I have had a hoarse voice for the last 4 months. I have pretty bad seasonal allergies so I’ve put it off as that. However I’ve noticed that literally no allergy medicine helps and my voice hoarseness has only gotten worse. At times in the middle of a sentence mg voice cuts out completely. I have random ear pressure off and on and same with sore throat. I can be fine for a week with the ear pressure and sore throat and then it hits. A dry cough off and on. I also have lost nasal drip often that no allergy medicine dried up.
    I have been doing so well regarding my health anxiety but have been getting frustrated due to my hoarse voice cutting out so often and decided to Google.
    Big mistake as I now see horrible stories of throat cancer. Has anyone else had this issue with a hoarse voice for so long and it turned out not to be anything sinister?
    I am a 39 almost 40 year old woman and have never smoked a day in my life. Also o do drink alcohol a few times a week socially. I’m trying so hard not to spiral here and I have made an appointment with my doctor but because of Covid it’s only a phone appointment.

Re: Hoarse voice for months

I’ve just posted something similar myself and this was one of my symptoms in the head area. My voice was very raspy/hoarse and I had a nasal endoscopy and they found nothing but slight redness so took lansoprazole for 3 years. When I would speak I ran out of breath and dreaded anyone phoning me for a chat. My throat ached for trying to talk. It eventually started to improve , I did throat exercises and used an iquoro which helped, to a certain extent I still have it but it’s connected with swallowing issues and eyes too. But I was told that hoarse voice maybe down to reflux. So for me it’s 7-8 years later. Try and get a doc check to reassure you though, this was my experience of something similar. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Angibec View Post
    I’ve just posted something similar myself and this was one of my symptoms in the head area. My voice was very raspy/hoarse and I had a nasal endoscopy and they found nothing but slight redness so took lansoprazole for 3 years. When I would speak I ran out of breath and dreaded anyone phoning me for a chat. My throat ached for trying to talk. It eventually started to improve , I did throat exercises and used an iquoro which helped, to a certain extent I still have it but it’s connected with swallowing issues and eyes too. But I was told that hoarse voice maybe down to reflux. So for me it’s 7-8 years later. Try and get a doc check to reassure you though, this was my experience of something similar. 😊
    Thank you so much for the reply! That’s also exactly what happens to me! I run out of breath when speaking as well and it’s horrible. Most days lately my throat has been so sore to swallow. Was it your doctor who gave you the throat exercises to do?

Your welcome. I got some exercises from the speech therapist but I got my throat and tongue exercises from you tube, just typed in strengthening throat muscles , still do them when going through a bad patch. It’s worse on bad anxiety days which would make sense as your full body is tense , so why not your throat. I think my throat got sore because it was an effort to speak most days. I know it’s scary, but I do manage it and it’s nowhere near as bad as it was . Just want it to go away full stop. Hope you get some relief soon. X

Better consult your Doctor for proper medication since Hoarseness is a symptom of lung cancer. It's hard to assume something based on google search but, I'm not against in doing so.

Rubiered... Please ignore the statement from Solarblind. This is a careless fear mongering statement and shouldn't have been posted.

Solarblind, perhaps you should think twice before responding in this way on an anxiety forum.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I have to say it doesn’t sound sinister at all. Occasionally vocal cords can develop little cysts which can cause this - but my guess is allergies. Try not to worry

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Rubiered... Please ignore the statement from Solarblind. This is a careless fear mongering statement and shouldn't have been posted.

Solarblind, perhaps you should think twice before responding in this way on an anxiety forum.

FMP
    Thank you! Aft first I was bothered by the comment but I see this person has done this on other posts as well. 🙁

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    I have to say it doesn’t sound sinister at all. Occasionally vocal cords can develop little cysts which can cause this - but my guess is allergies. Try not to worry
    Hoping it’s something not serious! My Friday appt was moved to next Tuesday but trying to keep my mind occupied and not worry. Easier said than done 😆

After speaking to my Dr via phone appt, I have to take acid reflux meds for 4-5 weeks and then if symptoms still persist I will be referred to ENT Dr. It has now been almost 4 weeks on the meds and no difference 😞 Which now is scaring me that this is not the cause and it has to be some kind of throat/vocal chord cancer. Some days my throat hurts only slightly, more of a tight sensation when swallowing and feels raw like I’ve been screaming at a Concert. The hoarseness is almost daily but the severity of it fluctuates day to day. So worried that it has to be something terrible going on 🙁

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information