Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AstraZeneca vaccine?

AstraZeneca vaccine?

I was wondering who here has had the AstraZeneca vaccine? Here in Canada its available to me but I'm terrified to get it because of the blood clot risk. I would prefer the Pfizer or the Moderna one but that won't be available to me until the summer.

I don't know what to do!!

Re: AstraZeneca vaccine?

I’ve had a first dose two weeks ago, my mother and father have both had two doses of the AZ vaccine. My father felt dreadful for two days after the fact, neither me or my mother felt anything. My father is fine now.

It’s your decision, but what I would say is that there is more risk of contracting a blood clot on a very long haul flight. The risk of dying from a blood clot after a single dose of the AZ vaccine is akin to worrying about paracetamol causing epilepsy.

It’s your decision, but I definitely have to note that you probably take much higher risks with your life carrying out every day activities than you would by taking this vaccine.

The risk is 1 in 250,000 with AZ. Risk of blood clots when taking the contraceptive pill is 1 in 2,000.

I don't see all these countries panicking about the pill.

And don't forget the risk of getting a blood clot from Covid is much higher.

This very rare risk issue plays right into anxiety disorder traits. Isn't it just the same as that rare cancer some fear?

I had AZ 3 weeks ago. My Brother in Law, sister, Mother, husband and Brother have all had it, no problems. In all honesty I don't understand this extreme panic about it, why not panicking about painkillers in the same way for their very rare side effects or any other medication for that matter ? Now this very rare side effect is known about, and the symptoms of it, those people will be picked up and treated.

Edited to add - I suppose I do understand why people are jittery. People aren't usually aware of all the potentially dangerous VERY RARE side effects of everything else they take, or every event in their lives e.g. crossing the road, you aren't given the probabilities of crossing before you step out - but when those very rare events are brought dramatically to the public's attention then anyone with HA is going to think 'that will be me'. Everyone without HA thinks 'that won't be me'.
    Last edited by Carys; 10-04-21 at 10:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    [...] anyone with HA is going to think 'that will be me'. Everyone without HA thinks 'that won't be me'.
    This describes my thinking to a T - "well, it has to happen to someone, so why not me?"

I'm also brilliant at fantastical/catastrophic thinking too (at the moment, despite indications to the contrary, I'm wondering if I have acute mercury poisoning)

Hasn't the J&J vaccine got the same issues as well re blood clots?

I had mine on the 2nd of April, still have the shivers and headaches, rang the emergency 111 number put a dr on and basically if the headache is a pain you can’t stand go to A&E if it’s bearable call your own dr and see what’s wrong, but not much help at all......I have taken painkillers etc but still have the headache, everybody else seems to be ok after 48 hours, but I’m a worrier so I probably make myself worse.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Hasn't the J&J vaccine got the same issues as well re blood clots?
    Yes, 4 cases of which 1 died. One scientist advising the government gave an interesting risk comparison:

On Saturday a scientist advising the Government said any blot clots associated with the J&J vaccine are “extraordinarily rare events”.

Professor Peter Openshaw, a member of the Covid-19 clinical information network, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “We still don’t know whether they are directly related and caused by the vaccine but it seems possible that they could be.

“It wouldn’t be surprising to find the J&J, the Janssen vaccine, also causes rare blood clots because it’s based on an adenovirus technology which is not that far away from the technology being used in the AstraZeneca vaccine.”

Asked if he is concerned it could undermine public confidence in coronavirus jabs, Prof Openshaw said: “These are extraordinarily rare events and there is no medicine that is going to be completely free of side effects but this is on the scale of the risk of adverse outcome you would expect if you get into a car and drive 250 miles, and many of us wouldn’t blink before taking that risk.”

I am very afraid of AstraZeneca after a 33 year old man died in my country. They are now calling younger people like me because many people don't want AstraZeneca. I've always had a slightly elevated thrombocytes and my father had a deep venous trombosys and I also take Sulpiride/Eglonyl for my anxiety which is known to make blood clots so I think I'll definitely die from AstraZeneca ,I'll be that rare case. I suffer from HA very badly though.

Also, I'll probably die of covid if I don't get vaccine due to being obese, 140/90 blood pressure, Hashimoto that's not under control and probably diabetic since my last blood exam when I had a stomach bug show 8.3 blood sugar. I am so scared that I am becoming sucidal and at the same time I don't want to die. I don't know what to do. I want Pfizer but I can't get it.

Your chances of getting a blood clot from covid are drastically higher than from the AZ vaccine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information