Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympics 2020/2021

Olympics 2020/2021

I haven't seen an Olympics discussion thread yet. Anyone watch the opening ceremony? Thoughts? I felt like it was advocating group interpretive dance as a new sport

Re: Olympics 2020/2021

The part where they played game music?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I loved the bit with the 1800 illuminated drones...

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Awesome what they did there. The programming work, and the synchronization of so many moving parts, that is fundamentally 0's and 1's without a single bit failing ... that's very impressive. What if one fails and drops, how do the other drones react? They'd move out the way, so there's sensing and AI at work there too.

I don't want to derail the thread, but if this can be done for fun we shouldn't think about what the militaries are doing with this

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

It was so odd seeing no crowds in the stands. Except for that 1/4 of the stadium that everyone was packed into, which made little sense to me. You have a whole stadium, spread them people out a little haha. Agree on the interpretive dance, and I did love the pyrotechnics, but I’m a sucker for that anyway lol. Currently watching a little beach volleyball waiting on some gymnastics. And looking forward to seeing some surfing/skateboarding eventually! Kind of a fun new addition to the games.

How come the west don't have surfing and skateboarding in the olympics?

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    How come the west don't have surfing and skateboarding in the olympics?
    It's not a case of "the West" James, what sports are in the Olympics are constantly under review and more often than not, chosen upon the basis of what will bring TV viewers and thus advertising revenue to the channels.

It's not a case of "the West" James, what sports are in the Olympics are constantly under review and more often than not, chosen upon the basis of what will bring TV viewers and thus advertising revenue to the channels.
    I remember as a kid they had the Olympics in China, or Japan. They released a game for it, and it had all sorts of games like footsie with the beanbag. You don't really see that when hosted in the west.

So you mean in Tokyo people want to see those sports because they're popular games there?

☪️️

Yeah, I thought the drones were the best part!

I'm watching skateboarding now... Did you guys see the guy from Ecuador win the bike race? It's only like their 2nd gold medal ever

Just watched the last two preliminaries and the final in the women's street skateboarding. Some very young and experienced girls in the final. I was supporting the 13 year old Brazilian. She was a team player and positive.

I was disappointed that the favourite (knocked out) in the Brazilian team threw a moody and didn't even join her team mates in the final to cheer her on.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information