Thread: Returning to work....work-related stress

Returning to work....work-related stress

Over the past few months I've been finding my job really stressful cos we were being overworked. I found myself crying a lot at work & home & feeling low & anxious all the time. A few weeks ago I made the decision to see my Dr & he signed me off with work-related stress. My manager was really awful with me on the phone & made me think that I could be sacked when I return if I wasn't capable. These past few days I've felt better in myself & ready to go back but then my work colleague told me that one of my supervisors who she has as a Facebook friend has been snooping on her account to see if she can find any conversations between us talking about work, there's none cos it's all done via PM of course.
    This has now set me back & I've been crying all night cos I'm so worried they want rid of me now & are just looking for reasons. I called them today to say I'll be back next week but now I feel like I'm back like I felt before I got signed off :(. The job is stressing me out too much but it's gonna be hard to get something else but I don't want to be dismissed.

Re: Returning to work....work-related stress

Such bad conditions aren't healthy. Maybe you should see if there is another job available?

They cannot sack you for being ill. Are you in a union? If so you should contact your union rep or phone ACAS for advise http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461
    Keep a record of any comments made to you from colleagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    They cannot sack you for being ill. Are you in a union? If so you should contact your union rep or phone ACAS for advise http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461
    Keep a record of any comments made to you from colleagues.
    I've deleted my facebook messages saying about them snooping, it was just depressing me seeing it there on my messages, I didn't want to keep seeing it. Maybe it was a mistake but it's done now.

I can understand about that. It still may be wise for you to speak to your union rep or ACAS though as work just seems to be adding to your stress. A similar thing happened to me when I was off sick and I was made more anxious by colleagues contacting me about work.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    I can understand about that. It still may be wise for you to speak to your union rep or ACAS though as work just seems to be adding to your stress. A similar thing happened to me when I was off sick and I was made more anxious by colleagues contacting me about work.
    I've stopped posting on my facebook for a bit, hate it anyway & I'll be trying not to talk to my work colleagues via pm cos I just don't want to discuss work anymore when I'm at home. I'll be trying to keep the two things separate like I did before. My life was less stressful then, less sociable with work colleagues but less stressful

Thread Information