Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Public Panics

Forgotten Public Panics

Over the years there have been numerous issues/events/crazes that have caused intense panic and hysteria amongst the general public at large here in the UK, and then seemingly forgotten about soon after, once both the public and the media had moved onto the next 'big issue'.

As you all know full well, the foremost panic at the moment (both here and the world over) is Coronavirus. Does anyone remember any big issues/events/crazes during their lifetime (ultimately post-WW2) that became fully-fledged panics and then quickly forgotten?

Re: Forgotten Public Panics

We were talking about this at work today. Do you remember the supposed petrol shortage a few years ago when there were huge queues at the petrol stations and it caused an actual shortage?

I was in the thick of it when the Falklands War broke out...

Does ANYBODY else remember the numerous scare stories in the press in the 70s when we were told the next Ice Age would be hitting around the year 2000?

I also remember Hong Kong Flu. My Mum and one of my brothers WERE very ill, but the other four of us in the house didn't even catch it.

And then those of us who survived that were supposed to be dying of AIDS...

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I was in the thick of it when the Falklands War broke out...
    I remember feeling very scared. That must have been frightening, how were you in the thick of it?

I'm not in the UK, but I was 18 on 9/11 and my family is from about 45 minutes outside New York City. It was my first week away at college in Baltimore, which is about 45 minutes from Washington, DC. It was the absolute most terrifying day of my life. All the phone lines were overwhelmed so I couldn't get in touch with my family for a few hours and I didn't know if people I knew in NY had been killed. Afterwards we had no idea what would happen next. I remember looking up every time a plane flew over, being scared to fly, being scared to be in big crowded places, etc... for quite a while. It was the first time I'd been away from home so that made it extra disconcerting! And this is before I had any trace of anxiety!

The big hurricane famously dismissed by one weather forecaster.

The IRA bombings.

A few earthquakes.

The scaremongering and utter nonsense peddled by the health bodies themselves about AIDS.

All those police scary animal posters with hyenas on who were going to rob us.

The oil panic buying mentioned above that only made it worse.

Anyone remember the old public safety adverts that would probably terrify many a millenial? The railway lines, electricity pilon and the knife, the man mowing over his cable (until manufacturers worked out how to prevent the worst of it by getting rid of DC current in the things), and the creepy one about kids drowning.

Going much further back what about the mud slide that engulfed a school killing children and teachers trying to protect them.

I remember the Swine flu pandemic in 2009, the terrorist attacks on the London Underground in 2005. Also the 9/11 attacks in which I remember feeling like it was the beginning of the end of the world and I didn’t struggle much with anxiety then but I think that affected the world and how people viewed flying from then on. Even now watching any documentary or anything i can’t comprehend it. My dad was in the gulf war too and I remember that. I remember when we lived in Germany and having a constant threat of the IRA, I remember something being left underneath our car and my dad going outside to see what it was incase it was a bomb of some description. I was very young then but remember being frightened. I guess when we really think about it, there are always bad things happening and fortunately most of us come through unscathed. Like we say, the media just gets worse year on year. We didn’t have access to worldometer statistics and suchlike when swine flu was going on. If we did I didn’t know about it.

Let's not forget Y2K

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

My local Greggs opened 12 minutes late one Monday morning and you'd think somebody had been murdered.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information