Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tongue ulcer misery

tongue ulcer misery

I have been suffering with a sore tongue off and on for the past 3 weeks. I thought I had just bitten it and it seemed to get a bit better after a few days but the past week has been no fun at all. I went to the dentist yesterday and he told me he could see ulcers down one side of my tongue and thinks I have been grinding my teeth. He gave me difflam oral rinse and told me to wear my mouth splint at night - I havent worn it for 2 and a half years and it doesnt fit properly now!

I am in quite a lot of pain with this every time my teeth touch my tongue, even swallowing hurts and I am thinking that surely things should be getting better after a week. How long do ulcers take to heal and what can I do to help?
    Last edited by Humly; 14-06-14 at 21:04.

Re: tongue ulcer misery

I had an ulcer last for a month once and I went to my dentist and he said that they just depend on the placement of them. I use something called Iglu (from boots or lloyds pharmacy). It creates a thick barrier on the ulcer and allows it to heal quicker. Once I began using that they cleared up within a couple of days.

Hope that helps. Try not to worry. Happy thoughts.

X

Thank you. I've got some iglu and its ok but it doesnt seem to stay on for very long and ends up all over my teeth x

Yeah it's really not very pleasant stuff but it's always worked for me because my main problem always seems to be when I catch them with my teeth and that makes them worse. Hope they get better soon! X

Same here. Keep catching them with my teeth all the time and its so painful. Wonder if thats why they are not healing. x
    Last edited by Humly; 15-06-14 at 08:31.

Anyone heard of lysine helping to heal ulcers? Dont want to google too much because we all know what that does for you. I am desperately searching for something to help make this go away and my mind is as usual in overdrive thinking all sorts x
    Last edited by Humly; 15-06-14 at 11:07.

When I had tongue ulcers in Australia, I found a preparation with benzalkonium chloride helped best. I don't know if similar is available where you are.

Thanks I'll have a look at that. I am basically going to throw everything I have at this. I've got some lysine tablets to take plus the difflam mouth rinse from the dentist and I am dabbing some corsodyl on with some cotton wool a few times a day as well as using the iglu gel. If I could only remove my teeth to stop them catching the side of my tongue all would be well, lol x

I did a quick search and Boots Mouth Ulcer Pastilles have benzalkonium chloride, and are available without prescription in the UK. Good luck!

salt water garglinbg worked for me!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information