Thread: question about "racing thoughts"

question about "racing thoughts"

I usually get them when I go to bed, right before I fall asleep. Also when I do physical work, which doesn't require concentration (such as cleaning, cooking, showering, etc). The thoughts are not unpleasant, they are not negative. But they are just racing so fast, like crazy, they make me exhausted, and I can't relax and just force my brain to become quiet for a while so that I can rest. The thoughts are completely illogical, weird and irrational. They are just random pieces of information, facts, someone's words, people's names, parts of conversations, things I saw on TV, even sounds, blending together, forming sentences and images really quickly.

I read that these thoughts are called "racing thoughts" and can be a symptom of many different conditions (among which anxiety, panic, depression, etc) And that's OK with me cause if they're just a symptom I could forget about them, not pay any attention to them, and I guess then they would just disappear.

But I'm a bit freaked out because I did a bit of research, and I found out that most people who said they have racing thoughts have bi polar disorder (manic depression). Of course now I'm worried that I might have that condition too (what a surprise huh LOL), I'm checking myself for symptoms, and .. yeah, you know how it goes.

So I guess I could just use some reassurance that racing thoughts are a normal part of anxiety, it would really ease my mind. So please, if you have ever experienced this, and if you know something about it, just drop a line in this topic, it would be much appreciated. Thank you

I have had racing thoughts too and I have just your average run of the mill Anxiety/panic. I know that it can be very frightening and exhausting but it doesn't mean that you are bi polar. Just that your brain is working overtime which happens to alot of us that have anxiety.
    You are definitely not alone in this. Hope that helps a little.

Hi Lotus,

Try these links on thoughts :

Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective
    Mind Games
    obsessive thoughts & anxiety
    Still suffering this damn "suggestive" thing..
    How to CURE yourself ! The definitive guide here..
    Its happening again !
    Things to consider for success!
    [Link removed as post deleted]
    Thoughts
    image projection in my mind

and this one on racing minds :

Mind racing?

and this one on freedom from thoughts :

Have you ever achieved freedom from your thoughts

Hope these help.

take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

to stop the thoughts, try counting back from 100 as fast as you can but clearly so you say every number! or try a lil technique i came up with, think of a film, think of an actor in that film and think of another actor hes worked with in a differant film, confused? me too! lol
    like this: pearl harbour, erm, ben affleck, worked with uma thurman on paycheck, and shes been on kill bill,and on kill bill also was lucy leu{cant spell} who worked with cameron diaz on charlies angel and also on there was matt le blanc who was of course on friends, with jennifer anniston and brad pitt starred on the show, and he went on to star in mr and mrs smith...... Ok im going on, but you get the idea! its distracting and dare i say, addictive!

Yeah I get them either when I'm anxious late at night - in which case i can't sleep and have to get up to do something boring til my mind calms down - or when I've had a really good day writing with lots of ideas and I need to get it all down on paper and my mind is racing trying to keep track of it all.

It's just my high anxiety getting to the best of me. I call him Bingbongilypoop. Then I can laugh at him cos he has a funny name. HAHA! [points]

Thank you all for the support, I really appreciate all your answers.

Re: question about "racing thoughts"

Dear Lotus,

I have just posted a new thread about this, obviously before I looked at the forum! How you describe the racing thoughts are exactly how I feel, so thank you so so much. I really thought I was going mad and had Bi-polar etc. I know this is years later but I hope you see my reply. Again, many thanks
    Velvet

Thread Information