Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety and fear of being sick

Anxiety and fear of being sick

Hi there, my name is Alicja and I am 30 years old and I am really hoping to chat to anyone who can give me any advice on how to control my anxiety/panic attacks and my overwhelming phobia of being sick!!!! I know it sounds crazy but I have had a fear of being sick for years, which probably doesn't help that I haven't been sick since I was about 9 years old can you believe!!! The panic attacks started about 4 1/2 years ago, and they really do get me down sometimes, I feel so alone and like a "Freak". I am so looking forward to chatting to anyone that can atleast remotely know how I feel!!!!

A Blair

hi alicja and welcome im new here to and suffer with severe panic, although I dont have a phobia of being sick I do understand what you are going through. You are not alone as I have found out today there are a lot of people who suffer like we do, now I have realised there is light at the end of the tunnel. big hugs xx

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">hi alicja and welcome im new here to and suffer with severe panic, although I dont have a phobia of being sick I do understand what you are going through. You are not alone as I have found out today there are a lot of people who suffer like we do, now I have realised there is light at the end of the tunnel. big hugs xx

<div align="right">Originally posted by welshgirl - 29 July 2006 : 21:47:35</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Hi Welshgirl, thank you soooo much for your lovely message!! I am hoping that this will be the start of recovery for me, by joining this webiste and making new friends. I am trying to go about it this time with a more positive attitude and the will to get on with my life. I just turned the BIG 30 this year, and what this to be the start of the rest of my life!! It would be great to keep in touch, have a nice evening!!!! Alicja

A Blair

Your welcome we all need friends at times like this. Have you considered counselling at all for your phobia. Maybe you should consider seeing your GP maybe he could send you to see someone and maybe give you meds to help the anxiety. Just remember you are not alone. Big hugs xx

Hi Alicja,

Vomit phobia is one of the most common phobias of all.

Have you discussed this with your GP who may be able to rfer you for a course of CBT wich would help with your anxiety as a whole.

You should encounter people here who have experienced this same phobia and note their progress.

Take Care,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hiya, my ex. had that phobia, she went on to get married and have three kids so she must have got over it, so don't despair[8D]

Dave

Hi Alicja,

Welcome to the site. I have this phobia as well and there are a few of us on here. If you have a look through some of the old posts or search emetophobia you might find some stories you can relate to.

I am very similar to you, I am 24 and have not been sick since I was 6. Sometimes I think it is more the fear or the unknown than anything else. I have been part of this site for almost a year now and what I have learnt during that time (from here and recommended books) has been invaluable in helping me deal with it.

I can now deal with others being sick much, much better than I could before. I'm still afraid to a degree but can control the fear (most of the time) rather than letting it control me. I would still choose not to be around but I have been trying so hard not to run at the first sign of 'danger'. I am a primary school teacher so it is something I have to deal with frequently.

Sorry to have gone on so much! Just wanted to let you know there is hope. I never thought I would be able to deal with it in any shape. Hopefully one day it won't bother me at all!

If you think I could help in any way feel free to PM me. Also there are lots of resources out there to help you begin dealing with it but the best thing I found was just to read about it. Knowledge is power and all that eh!

I hope you find the site as useful as I have.

Take care.

Tammy x

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Hi.

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of help and support here and make some new friends too!

Scooby2005
    x x

Hi Alicja

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Here are some other posts on emetophobia for you...

Emetophobia
    EXPOSURE THERAPY...
    To Emetophobia sufferers
    1st day CBT exposure for emetaphobia = scary
    A visit to the Doctors
    CBT for emetophobia my experiences...
    Emetaphobia 101

Nicola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information