A few of us have been asking about an agoraphobia section, but for now, we thought we’d start a thread discussing how agoraphobia has affected us, where we are now in beating it, and what steps we plan to take.

I’ll get the ball rolling. I have had agoraphobia since 2001, when I had my first panic attack on holiday in a restaurant. Not only did we have to leave the restaurant but they were just serving up our steaks, so we had to pay for a totally uneaten meal, which made me feel even worse!

These days I manage to go place that are very important, such as the dentist at least twice a year. I manage this by taking a deep breath and giving myself a good talking to, but the relief when it is over is massive. Obviously my partner comes with me. I can also walk up the lane I live on with my partner but most of the time I insist on going very early in the morning when no one is about.

Very occasionally, I will go somewhere, and it goes so well, I almost feel I am cured. However, often on the next outing I am back to square one, being very jittery and scared. Agoraphobia is quite strongly linked to social anxiety for me. If I knew I was not going to meet any people, I would be happy to go to a lot of places. But when I try to go out alone, even just round the side of my house to collect the post, I rush to get it over with and my head swims. Panic is not far away.

I know I need to start walking in the wood where I live with my partner and dogs again as I did a few years ago. Unfortunately this is only possible at weekends as my partner works. I have it in my head that places will be extra busy at weekends so I’m less likely to go. Sometimes I get the feeling I could go somewhere and I feel I just need to rush out the door. Any kind of hanging around before hand sets off my nerves again.

That’s a little about me and my agoraphobia. Over to you…