Thread: Coming off Citalopram

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coming off Citalopram

Hey hey my
    I 've been on 40 mgs for the last few months, although it seemed to help i've put on about 2 stone which isnt good i'm quite short, and turned into a total zombie, so have come off them about aweek ago. I feel sick as a dog, like i have a head full of concrete, and horrible vivid dreams every night, i woke up screamin last night, its awful. However i am gonna ride this, i'm not going on anything ever again. The cause of my depression is historical sexual abuse. I know there are other ways to deal with it. I'm not a chemistry set like the dr see's me.
    I just really wanna know how long these withdrawal effects last. The dr wouldnt tell me coz he wanted me to go on e-citalopram instead straight away. But i'm just not, i dont hold dr's in reverence. Does anybody know how long the symptoms last? Thats all i want to know , because i'm never taking them again at any doseage.

Just an update on how I'm getting on coming off Citalopram. I was on 10mg for 4 months then decided I didn't need to be on them anymore, so I went down to 5mg for a week and then came off them. I've been off them just over a week now and I feel fine, I don't feel any different actually. I must be one of the lucky ones. Mind you, the anxiety I had which is why I went on them isn't there anymore so that makes it easier for me. I'm determined not to go back on them again unless I get very bad anxiety again for any reason and it effects my day to day living.

My advice is don't just come off them, reduce the dose slowly.

After reading all this thread properly I may be in for a bumpy road coming off Citalopram. I think I'm getting the head whooshes and dizzyness but I ain't gonna give in to it. There's no way I'm going back on them whatever withdrawl symptoms are thrown at me! Lets all stick together and get through all this

Sorry, but it's me again. These last two days I've been having some funny symptoms (I mean funny strange). In the mornings I am really hot and sweat alot on my face and my Period comes on and then stops after some time. It's a funny sort of hot feeling, not a normal hot, and my Period is really heavy. I don't know if it's because I've come off Citalopram, or because I'm going through the Change, or my Cellulitis I get which I'm on antibiotics for at the moment. These symptoms only started a few days ago and I'm nearly a couple of weeks coming off Citalopram. Has anyone else had these symptoms coming off Citalopram?

I'll let you know how it goes.

Well i don't know if anyone is interested but just thought I would update once more (incase anyone is interested ).

I've been off Citalopram now for about two weeks and things seem to be going alright. My period has stopped now after coming on unexpectedly (I think that was too do with the menopause, sorry if chaps read that.) My sleeping is not bad. But all seems to be going well now so far. I'm not going back on them, whatever!

Smile Re: Coming off Citalopram

Hi guys, I'm on 5 mg a day now and it's probably a year since I first started dropping the dose (from 20 mg a day). A few posts back I read someone had reduced their dose slowly over 2 years, and to be honest I totally agree with them. I have found it difficult coming off these dam tablets and can't wait until the day i can finally say i've succeeded . I've had a couple of big PA's since i last posted but i've got through the bad bits, still not ready to come off them completely, i still have difficult times so if it takes me another year, so be it. Good luck

Hope citalopram is going to work for me and help me feel better! dont want to worry bout coming off them - course i'll worry what else!

Thread Information